question about housing and matching to a roomate?

<p>I think UW-Madison just stopped allowing incoming freshman to change their dorm choices for the upcoming year so I was wondering when do I find out which dorm I'm living in for the upcoming fall semester. I was also wondering how does the roomate matching process work and when is that done, and when will I find out who I will be rooming with?</p>

<p>Early June for housing. I have no Idea on roommate, I just hope its a good process</p>

<p>Early June, you’ll get your assignment and roommate and everything all at the same time. You’ll get an email and you can log on to this portal thing and it will tell you.</p>

<p>Roommate matching is random, you won’t be doing anything for that.</p>

<p>UW discovered a long time ago that random roommate matching was just as successful as trying to match according to what students put on a questionnaire. </p>

<p>By now you will have submitted the final version of your dorm choice rankings. It doesn’t matter when you signed your contract- all entering students have an equal chance of getting their first choice when the computer does the assignments this month. They try to get the results sent out before the first SOAR date so students will know where they are living when they come to campus for that.</p>

<p>Expect your letter (unless they’ve gone entirely online) from Res Halls to state your dorm name, house name and room number plus the name and address/way of communicating with your roommate. Note that Kronshage houses are separate buildings, you need all of the information so you end up in the right place. </p>

<p>Late next August there will be two move in days- typically 1/2 of the houses in each dorm on the first day, the other half on the second. This will spread the chaos more evenly than if everyone came the same day. Usually there will be a house meeting the evening of your move in day- important to be there on the assigned day and for your parents to have said goodbye. You will get all of the required information about your move in/parking for it plenty of time this summer. There will be “Badger Buddies”- students- to help you move things from car to room in huge laundry carts. You will be able to arrive any time after perhaps 8 am and have one hour of parking near your dorm. Res Halls food service will be available then. It is a zoo- but a well organized one. And, of course, exceptions can be made if you really need to change things. The student is the one that needs to get the key, btw- not parents.</p>

<p>You will also find the information about things to bring/not bring, sizes of rooms, etc on the Res Halls web site for each dorm.</p>