Question about sending scores when applying Test optional

I was at a college fair yesterday. The admissions representative for a school my child is interested in said you should still send your scores even if you are applying test optional. They said they will ONLY consider the scores if it strengthens your application.

My child is (marginally - like 10 points) above the bottom # of the middle 50% range the school discloses for SAT.

I am worried that sending it will negatively impact my child even though the admissions rep said that is not the case. I think my child’s course rigor, and GPA are much stronger than their SAT score.

So I was just curious do you believe what he is saying…. that when applying test optional, if you send scores as well that they will not consider unless it helps the student?

That may be university specific. Other schools have said that the system suppresses any scores sent if you apply test optional

1 Like

I believe them when they say this.

Colleges still want data on test scores. It’s not going to disadvantage your child. The data is ultimately helping the college and others. Colleges use the data to see if the students they admit are succeeding at their college, regardless of their score.

If you are really concerned, don’t send them. I’m not sure how they would know, frankly, unless it’s a school day test.

Last spring Trinity (Texas) said the opposite - do not send scores if applying test optional. She said that they can’t unsee them. So my guess is that it depends on the specific school.

We had the same question and I agree that it is truly different for each University. I think if they truly look at the kiddo from a holistic standpoint, they probably will disregard if it does not help. If they are much more GPA and Test Score focused and do not look at essays and ECs, they probably would not “unsee” it. It is helpful when they are upfront about it. My daughter selected specific colleges that she was interested in during her SAT administered at school last year and those scores were sent in and showed up in one of her applicant portals unbeknownst to her. It happened to be her top choice. She had no clue that happened and fortunately they did not go to all of the schools she applied to. Her top choice is holistic so we are hopeful they don’t consider them. They assured us they wouldn’t.

Good luck!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.