Question about the UC 'a-g' course list

<p>I’m from out of state (Washington), and don’t fully understand how the a-g system works. I read through the guide on their website, but it still leaves me a little confused. </p>

<p>For example, under the History/Social Science section, how exactly would I put the classes down? It requires two units, but would I put all of my courses there (9th through 12th grade including AP US Hist and AP Gov), or would I just put the amount necessary to fulfill the two unit requirement? </p>

<p>In the Foreign Language portion, it asks for two consecutive years of a language. I took German one year, then switched to Japanese. Would I include German there (Area E), or would I exclude it from the list? </p>

<p>I’m assuming classes such as PE, Accounting, et cetera don’t fall into any category? Would these just be excluded from the ‘a-g’ list? Would that mean that the UC GPA would be calculated based only on those a-g courses, and therefore classes such as PE would be ignored? </p>

<p>Thanks for the help and sorry for the ignorance on my part!</p>

<p>generally, i think u put down at least the base requirements into the right categories, but if u need some other credits (like the "g" part), then u can probably use the extra classes there, it's pretty flexible</p>

<p>i would ask your counselor to make sure tho</p>

<p>Put down ALL of your academic courses. Do not leave any of them out. UC is looking for a complete record of all of your academic courses. If you do not know where to put a course, then put it under electives. The impt thing is to get all of your classes listed as it will help when they are looking at the number of A-G courses completed. Better safe than sorry, if you list something that they do not accept, they will not count it in your uc gpa. There is no space for PE, ASB Class, or any other non-academic course. If you have done something spectasular in these realms, write about it in your personal statement or list it in the activities section. I have never tried to figure out the A-G thing from out of state, but you could search for a CA high school in the UC pathways section online and take a look at how they suggest t be done for a CA student. That may give you some ideas. Good luck.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot bessie, that certainly does help!</p>

<p>Edit: One thing that has been bugging me; would Accounting fall under the mathematics section? Or would it not be included in the a-g course list?</p>

<p>I think that might be best placed under "electives".</p>