Question about UC Schools

Hi all,

I wanted to make sure I fulfilled the A-G requirements before I finished the rest of the UC application. My problem is in the Visual & Performing Arts category. I have taken one semester of photography and another of sound engineering. Do these classes fall under the same category? Thanks for any help.

Probably not. You can email them and ask. My understanding it that is is supposed to be one full year of the same type of creative or performing art. It doesn’t sound like those classes fall under that category, unless they can be framed as both being part of sequence of filmmaking classes or something along those lines.

The UCs are pretty good about letting you know via email if they will accept a course or not. My daughter wanted to take a summer college art history class in Paris and we emailed the UCs and sent the syllabus in order to ascertain if that course would satisfy their VAPA requirement and they wrote us back in short order with an answer (affirmative).

Photography and Sound Engineering are VPA courses but the requirement specifically states the courses must be in the same discipline. I agree with @LoveTheBard to email UC admissions and ask for verification. Also once you complete your application, there will be a popup that indicates if you have satisfied all of the a-g course requirements.

Any way to take another Photography class next semester?
Below are other ways to satisfy the requirement.

[quote]
One yearlong course of visual and performing arts chosen from the following disciplines: dance, drama/theater, music, interdisciplinary arts or visual art — or two one-semester courses from the same discipline is also acceptable.

Exams & coursework that satisfy “F”
AP or IB Examination
Score of 3, 4 or 5 on the AP History of Art, Studio Art or Music Theory Exam;
score of 5, 6 or 7 on any one IB HL exam in Dance, Film, Music, Theatre Arts or Visual Arts

College courses
Grade of C or better in any transferable course of 3 semester (4 quarter) units that clearly falls within one of four visual/performing arts disciplines: dance, drama/theater, music or visual art