Question about Upper Level Courses

<p>In poking around the classes being offered for fall, I noticed that some of the upper level undergraduate courses and graduate courses seem to be the same. For instance, there will be a 400 level course and a 500 or 600 level course with the same name, offered at the same time with the same teacher. The courses will have different CRNs. Does this mean that the undergraduate and graduate courses are identical? Or are there different requirements depending on whether a student is taking it as an undergraduate course or a graduate course?</p>

<p>I can’t speak for UA, but at my uni, this is pretty common. The curricula is the same, but typically the grad students have a presentation/extra writing/something extra.</p>

<p>this is normal. my student said that an undergrad can take the grad level class and have it count for honors credit.</p>

<p>this is typical at Bama and other univs.</p>

<p>The classes are taught in the same room, but often the grad students have longer/harder exams. that’s why the 400 level class can’t be given 500 level credit.</p>

<p>As the others have said, 400/500 level courses are often cross-listed, with the 500 level course being somehow harder, usually an extra homework assignment or short research paper, but sometimes just a harder grading scale. I don’t know of any 600 level (doctoral) courses which are cross listed with 400 level courses.</p>