Question about "yield protection"

Are you saying no students are admitted EA? Where is that proof please.

Otherwise it is in fact an option.

And or are no EA candidates rejected because once again then they are fulfilling the promise of a decision early in the process which has value.

Your argument only holds true if all EA candidates are deferred.

1 Like

Are you saying there should be no EA at all? That the mere offering of it is deceptive? I’m not getting it.

Some window dressing by admitting a few doesn’t make it an option. I’m not equating the two, but Madoff giving some of his investors some good return doesn’t change the fact that he committed fraud.

No, I actually prefer EA to ED. The problem lies with a few private colleges that offer both. More often than not, their EA isn’t what they advertised.

1 Like

I think there is an assumption (faulty in my view) that EA confers a greater probability of acceptance to selective schools. In reality there is no magic formula of timing, gpa, test scores etc (unless you are strongly “hooked”) that guarantees anything. While I’m not a fan of it, EA only states you will find out earlier, they never state it increases your chance of admission.

1 Like

It’s not just EA. These same colleges will waitlist the same students in RD.

Given you are equating the colleges behavior to Bernie Madoff and the largest ponzi scheme of all time I assume you have some empirical evidence of your assertion showing the EA results? Please share it.

1 Like

I thought I said “I’m not equating the two” in the same sentence…

You actually used the word “but” and then proceeded to equate the two.

I am just looking for the numbers you are drawing your conclusions from. What numbers or facts are you basing the claim on.

Similarly I am not equating this to the Duke lacrosse case but the fact that people made unsubstantiated claims doesn’t change the fact that the student athletes were wrongly accused.

1 Like

So, sorry for being so dense, but I think you are saying one of the following: if an elite offers ED, it shouldn’t offer EA because…

(1) The school is unfairly using it to fish for a very few target students and deferring the rest to RD. The school doesn’t accept enough students EA to make it any different than RD. But student don’t know that because the school doesn’t spell out exactly what they are doing.

Or

(2) The school is deceptive by implying without saying that EA gives a leg up (some kind of ED light that requires no commitment from the student)?

Or is it something else? Because I am not seeing any damage to the student caused by EA. Did she change her position in any way by applying EA? Did she miss out on an opportunity? Did she do something different in reliance on any omission or misrepresentation?

3 Likes

Why don’t you ask these few colleges to release their EA statistics?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Because I am not the one accusing them of fraud. So I assume then your claims are speculation and opinion in the absence of that data. I just wanted to see the basis for your claim. Fair enough.

1 Like

If colleges were open about their EA option (“you can try it, but we are only going to select a handful, as in X percent”), that would be fine.

I have no problem with a school that offers only ED. Georgetown is very clear about how hard it is to get in during ED. I think they are terrifically transparent!

I also have no problem with a school that offers only EA. Great!

It’s the ED1/EA/ED2 back and forth that inspires my frustration. I know, it’s a business, it’s not personal etc etc. but all things considered, I’d rather S24 attend an institution whose admissions and marketing practices were as transparent as possible.

1 Like

I fully appreciate that and to a certain degree agree. I am not aware of any school that hides the various ways you can apply so that info is transparent and readily available.

No one is forced to apply to those schools. It is however a bit disingenuous in my opinion to do so and then complain about it and do so by invoking speculation and name calling while not providing a factual basis.

1 Like

You’re speculating. This isn’t personal. I don’t have anyone in my family who applied to these few schools.

You already called me ignorant and I won’t engage in debate. Have a great New Year.

2 Likes

The reason this thread, and others like it, exists is because there’re plenty of such anecdotal evidence. One can choose to see it, or ignore it. Only these few colleges have the data which they haven’t released so far. Somehow I don’t expect them to.

What is the specific misrepresentation? I don’t understand.

How would releasing the data expose the misrepresentation?

1 Like