Question about "yield protection"

Exactly and you have repeatedly asserted that applicants are being harmed by ED and Yield Protection. How was the student who declined CWRUs generous offer harmed?

1 Like

But you can make the news!

Sure, but it’s a game in which the rules are opaque and set by the college. That’s what this thread is all about, isn’t it? How to avoid the traps set by the college?

Honestly, this is better than Broadway… after all the grinding of the teeth, the kid was told “accept the offer, here’s your enhanced aid package” and she turned them down?

Hilarious. I was NOT expecting that outcome. So no harm no foul, CW sensed the kid wasn’t going to accept- they even sweetened the pot- and then she DIDN’T accept, proving that as byzantine as it may seem to outsiders, colleges seem to put together the class THEY want, and kids end up attending only ONE college which hopefully is attractive and affordable to them.

I’m on the edge of my seat to learn which college the kid ended up at. And if it’s a “higher” ranked college which costs less I’m going to choke on my popcorn!

6 Likes

Early admission is not a trap; I would assert that test optional is a rather diabolical trap!

1 Like

Yield protection is.

So the “trap” set by CWRU that led to them ultimately offering admission and competitive financial aid hurt the applicant how? I still just don’t see it.

I won’t ask again I will just assume we agree that the ultimate benefit accrued to the applicant.

1 Like

I used that example to show how yield protection at work, not how she was “harmed”. For some other students, they could be harmed because they may be derived of their “matches” and/or “safeties”.

But you used entirely anecdotal evidence to prove that students are harmed by ED and yield protection so wouldn’t this anecdotal example of a student that benefited be of equal value in contradicting your prior conclusion?

With declining enrollment at the vast majority of the 4000 schools (except for the most elite schools) given the erosion of wage premium, most will become “safeties”…

I never said everyone is harmed.

This is an example where yield protection worked; it correctly predicted lack of interest.

3 Likes

Of course yield protection works from the college’s perspective. What else do you expect? But for some students, it’s a trap they need to avoid.

You also never said some benefit unless I missed it? But this student certainly did.

I was under the impression that you thought colleges were abusing kids almost to the point of calling it fraud.

Thanks for the contra example in which it wasn’t just an option but in fact turned into a valuable option.

1 Like

It worked from her perspective because she didn’t want to go there anyways…

1 Like

I’d say win/win in this case…

No, not necessarily. If she didn’t have the other offer, or if she received a better package. Who knows?

This is called managing risk with the most info you have. There’s no such thing as a free lunch in life…

2 Likes

So where did she go after all???

Is this thread supposed to help kids avoid traps, or find excuses for college’s practice of yield protection?