Question for Compulsive Measurers-Ridgecrest South

<p>Hello, I would like to place my dresser under the lofted bed in Ridgecrest South. I would like to get some plastic drawers to place next to it for additional storage. Would anyone know how much space I would have for these plastic drawers? I am trying to figure out which ones to buy. </p>

<p>Also, are there blinds on the windows or do we have to provide?</p>

<p>Thanks!!</p>

<p>From what we could tell at BB, about half the space under the bed would be taken up by the dresser. If the mattresses are 78" (per UA website), and the dressers are approx. 35-36" wide (a standard width), that leaves about 42" - enough for one large (30") and one small plastic drawer (11-12") tower. That is what DD bought in anticipation of the same configuration for her room. I think if you look at the photos on CC and on the UA website, there are examples you can follow.</p>

<p>The Blinds are already in place.</p>

<p>i would buy the plastic drawers when you get there.</p>

<p>We moved the dresser under D’s bed during BB as well. It left plenty of room for the plastic drawers to go under on one side. It is also deep enough you could store something behind the dresser and the plastic drawers. Nothing too deep but room to store some things. Depending on how high you loft your bed you could also stack some of the plastic drawers. </p>

<p>One thing we noticed, those mattresses seem to easily slide. Maybe not so much once fitted sheets are on them but not sure. I’d be afraid of rolling around too much and falling right off.</p>

<p>Windows – Advice we received is even though there are blinds, black out curtains are important. I found great ones on Amazon that are soft and nice plus it will add a bit of color.</p>

<p>Try some of that puffy shelf liner sold in rolls. Should keep mattress in place even if you cut it in strips to accommodate the bed frame.</p>

<p>We bought 2 Sterlite 4 drawer cabinets recommended on another RCS thread. One for under the bed and one for the closet. We also bought the angled spring curtain rod with blackout curtains. We are going to pack the Sterlites with clothes and necessities and ship down to Bama ready for move-in. We hoping that come move out time next May that they can be reloaded, taped and stored by the Dorm-mover folks.</p>

<p>Hi there, can you please tell me how you plan to ship those? Will you put them inside another box? Will you wrap them? Have you got a shipping method in mind? THANKS!</p>

<p>can you post a link to those blackout curtains and rod you are talking about? What size did you order? Thanks!</p>

<p>can you provide a link to the type of drawers you bought?</p>

<p>Someone told me that there is a big gap between the bed and the wall and recommended a body pillow. Did you find that to be the case?</p>

<p>Agree with NYBama about the Sterlites. DS uses them at home in his closet. (His monkish room has no dressers.) We just relocate them back and forth, and he doesn’t even have to relearn where his boxers are stored.</p>

<p>The curtain rod is here, [Umbra®</a> Mission Bronze 24’ - 36’ Double Drapery Tension Rod - Bed Bath & Beyond](<a href=“http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17958291&RN=2467&KSKU=129342&]Umbra®”>http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17958291&RN=2467&KSKU=129342&)</p>

<p>And the Sterlites are here, [Sterilite</a> 4-Drawer Cabinet, 2-Pack: Storage & Organization : Walmart.com](<a href=“http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Drawer-Cabinet-2-Pack/21910426]Sterilite”>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-4-Drawer-Cabinet-2-Pack/21910426). They are very sturdy but the boxes they came in are very flimsy. I plan on shipping everything from my local UPS store down to the UPS store across from campus. They have boxes of all sizes and even pack for you at no additional cost other than for the packing supplies. I spoke with my local store who told me that it should take no more than 3-4 days to ship UPS to UPS store but I’m allotting a full week or more to arrive. they’ll hold on to the boxes until we come to pick them up on move-in morning. We have other large items like a fan, 3" mattress pad, etc that will need to be shipped as well. I thought about waiting until we arrive in Town to purchase these items down there but don’t want to risk the items not being in stock when I get there. Many stores have a “ship to store feature” but again I’d rather not be surprised when I get there that some of the items are missing so I’ll just pay for the items to be shipped from here at home.</p>

<p>the mattress won’t slide off the bed.</p>

<p>there could be a gap depending where you put your bed.</p>

<p>we just bring the plastic drawers back and forth filled with their usual contants. we wash and reorganize a little over the summer.</p>

<p>The reason for 2 is that a) you can never have enough storage, b) one goes into the closet and the other under the bed so they won’t really be taking up that much room.</p>

<p>catinhat, re the gap between the wall and the bed. Not sure if it is in every room but it was in D’s during BB. Did not look at the other 3. There is a section that comes out about 2-3" on the side wall. The bed fits snug against it in that area but not the other. I’d say it is about half the length of the bed. She said if she were in that room she would move the bed to the other wall to have the extra space.</p>

<p>Catinhat95,
I got all of these ideas from an earlier Ridgecrest South titled thread so you might want to search for that thread and get other ideas.</p>

<p>And here it is…lol. <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1349848-tape-measure-madness-ridgecrest-south.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1349848-tape-measure-madness-ridgecrest-south.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>IMO, you should be able to store all clothes in the closet and drawers provided. we did add plastic drawers (2 or 3 sets of the 11ish inch wide ones - i can’t remember now) underneath the hanging clothes on one half of the closet. IMO the room would benefit from the addition of some kind of shelf. either under the lofted bed, on top of the desk combo, or as a stand-alone piece. my kid took a LOT of clothes, and we just set up her closet to make good use of the space and hold them all. </p>

<p>what the room lacks is a place to put things like books, a tv … things like that.</p>