Question for current Geneseo students

<p>Hey everyone. I was accepted to Geneseo as a transfer student for Fall '07. How is the political science department at the school? I'm currently in the School of Public Affairs at American University--I know Geneseo is more academically competitive than AU, but how does the poli sci dep't stack up in comparison? Also, do courses normally fill up quickly and prevent students from taking their desired classes? [Not just for poli sci, but any course].</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>-Eric</p>

<p>hey, i'm a high school senior right now, just got admitted to geneseo and am hoping to get into american as well. right now i'm planning on majoring in political science, and i'm just wondering why you decided to transfer from american to geneseo? it seems like american would be a better place to study political science, it's just i don't know if i can afford anything more than the suny tuition..</p>

<p>I can't answer your question about the polisci dept but yes, courses fill up ridiculously quickly. I just registered yesterday, and pretty much every class I was planning to take was full. If you're lucky some professors are willing to overload, but that's rare.</p>

<p>I hope you brought in some credits, because that's what determines when you register (more = better).</p>

<p>Geneseo's Poli Sci department is great, but not necessarily full of big name professors like you'll have at American. I don't know much about the program at AU, but I was an IR major and really got a lot out of all of my classes. The professors all have excellent credentials and a lot of experience. Also, the professors are really approachable, and it's easy to get to now them. Classes with popular professors do fill up fast, but I know they're working on adding more classes to take care of that.</p>

<p>Is there an actual IR major at Geneseo?
Can anyone tell me more about it?
I'm probably transferring there for Spring 09, and I'm definitely interested.</p>

<p>Yes, there is an International Relations major. I'm only in the middle of my first semester, but I'm an IR major and I think I'll be sticking with it. It's interdisciplinary, which I think is really nice because I can explore various different subjects. You have to take two economics courses, a handful of political science courses, some sociology, geography...a lot of social science stuff. Also, there are four different 'tracks' within the major: Developing World, Global Political Economy, War and Peace Studies, and European Studies. I'd definitely recommend that you look into it, just look for the Undergraduate Bulletin online.</p>