Question for Pre-Med Majors

@phokie Yes, your words are still helpful. Much about the premed to med school process will be similar regardless of undergrad. :slight_smile: if you’d like to join our parents of premeds group, send me a PM. While technically it’s a UA group, we have many parents whose students attend elsewhere. The info is helpful no matter where the student has matriculated.

With the addition of psych and socio to the MCAT, it would make sense to include those classes the first year since those aren’t usually that demanding and can be easy A’s.

One of the biggest mistake a premed can do is overload a semester, particularly first semester. So many premeds were A students in high school and naturally assume that their college grades will be similar. But, all of the sudden their bio and chem classes are usually filled with very strong science students, because students who are weak in those areas are majoring in areas that don’t require the STEM version of sciences.

Another mistake is taking 8 am classes. Many think that they took 8am or zero period classes in high school, so they think taking them in college will be no big deal. Unless the student is a natural early riser, avoid 8 am classes.

@LoveMyLife004 keep asking questions. It is so easy to make a misstep in the premed process, so better to always ask. So much of the process is counter-intuitive.

My son will be a freshman at Alabama this fall and study biology with the purpose of studying a pre-med path. I would like to be apart of the pre-med parent’s group. Is that a separate place on this forum?

I sent you a pm. ^^

Hi mom2collegekids, I would love to be added to the pre-med parent’s group as well. My daughter will be starting in the fall on a ChemE pre-med path, and we sure could use advice on how to navigate the process as well as how to best utilize those AP credits. Thanks.