Question on Ws

Hello everyone!

I recently signed up for a dual enrollment course through a community college. However, I started late, missed a few assignments and kind of put it off for a while and realized that I would have to drop with a W since I couldn’t balance the courseload at the time.
However, when applying to colleges, would I have to report that W as a dual enrollment course or can I just choose not to report it if I didn’t finish the class?

Some additional points: I heard somewhere (not sure if true) that UCs have a way of seeing the class you dropped as a W even if you don’t report it. Not sure about other schools though.
I’m taking an identical class at a different community college at a later date. (this one I wont drop haha)
I will be reporting the other class, not the W that I just got from this one.
If in the case I had to report the W, would that negatively affect my GPA or college admission chances and what would it count for in GPA?
Also, since I’m taking it between junior and senior year, would it factor into senior year GPA and thus not even affect ED and UC GPA technically? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you all so much!

Regarding UCs (University of California), it’s true that they have a comprehensive system for tracking coursework, including any dropped courses. Even if you choose not to report the course on your application, they may still be able to see it through their records. Other schools may have similar systems in place, so it’s generally best to assume that they could find out about the dropped course.

You withdrew. Shouldn’t be in your gpa and you should not play games with your credentials.

Life happens. Be honest and things will work out UC or otherwise.

My son had 2 WDs - in college. Got a great job. Not the same situation but it happens and it’s understandable.

And don’t note it in comments - the why. Just leave it be.

1 Like

The withdrawal have no effect on your UC application or chances. UC’s do not care a W’s as long as there is not an excessive amount on your transcript which they would want an explanation. Regardless if you take a similar or the same class, report the W.

1 Like

Ah I see, so should I report the W and the grade from the other class I take? It will show up as two identical classes, with just different grades

Okay, thank you! Should I report it no matter what then?

Yes, for the UC application you report both the W and the repeat grade. For the Cal states, you just report the repeat grade. Other schools may do it differently so you need to check the requirements.

For both CSU/UC’s, you will need to send the college transcript(s) so they see both the W and the grade.

Purposely leaving off course/grade information could lead to your acceptances being rescinded and W’s are not an issue for either so no worries.