Question Scholarship Money

<p>I have a question regarding the way scholarship money is spent. My daughter is a NMF so is receiving that scholarship. She also received a full tuition scholarship from the art department. She now has enough money to cover the meal plan and books/supplies. My question is, can she use the scholarship money to purchase books, supplies, etc? And if so, how will she do it?</p>

<p>TIA!</p>

<p>Congrats to your D!!!</p>

<p>When there is leftover scholarship money, the school issues a refund a few weeks after school starts. Therefore, you won’t have the money “in hand” before school starts. However, it’s really a situation of paying out of pocket, and then getting the money later. </p>

<p>are you instate?</p>

<p>My daughter is in a similar situation – she has the NMF scholarship, an alumni scholarship and a departmental scholarship – all told the total exceeds the cost of her out of state tuition by a fairly large amount. We had hoped that she would be able to use these excess funds to cover additional University expenses – attending summer school so that she can pursue a double major, studying abroad more extensively than the NMF scholarship provides, paying for her meal plan, etc. We didn’t dream that the cash would actually be refunded to her. Does Alabama actually refund excess scholarships in cash? That might just seal the deal before she hears admissions results from the rest of her schools.</p>

<p>M2CK~ yes, instate. She is very excited about the amount she has been given. She spent some time this afternoon talking to the Bama bassoon professor who is in town to perform with our symphony. Apparently, she could also get a small amount for performing in ensembles but it’s not a guarantee since she isn’t majoring in music. D told Dr. Mann that it’s okay since she is already getting so much, she just wants to be able to keep playing! Thanks for the info!!</p>

<p>Paying4college~ I think this will seal the deal for my D also! She has a scholar interview weekend in two weeks at SMU, but unless they cough up a lot of money, we’re BAMA Bound!!!</p>