Question: University Scholars Program

<p>I received a letter in the mail a couple months back inviting me to consider the University Scholars Program. I read it and decided I was not interested because, although I am a business major, I was not particularly interested in majoring in Economics or Finance. Additionally, getting my bachelors and masters degrees in four years sounded admittedly terrifying. However, I have recently begun to reconsider the program when I decided I may major in Economics. I thought it may be too late but upon looking online it appears I can apply 2nd semester sophomore year?</p>

<p>Does anyone have experience with this program? How rigorous is the course load and how many credit hours would I be expected to take each semester in order for this to work? Also, if I am coming in with 21 credits already would I be able to apply 1st semester sophomore year?</p>

<p>One more question: Below I have copy/pasted from the UA site and it says that the GPA in all courses taken can’t be less than a 3.3…Does that mean each individual class or altogether? It sounds like each class individually…</p>

<p>“Students may also apply for admission to Phase I through their major department during the second semester of the sophomore year. Contingent upon completion of 61 semester hours of study and with a grade point average in all courses taken of not less than 3.3 (as computed without the plus/minus system), students are admitted to Phase I at the beginning of their junior year on recommendation of the departments to which they have applied.”</p>

<p>Any help would be extremely appreciated! Thanks in advance & RTR</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s too late. Use the contact info on the letter.</p>

<p>Did you get a letter about University Scholars, or about the new STEM to MBA program?</p>

<p>University Scholars. I haven’t heard of the new program…</p>

<p>The University Scholars program is offered in many majors…but the letters you and my S received were from the Business school Finance/Econ department. </p>

<p>They seem to reach out to their students not sure about the other departments but if you are interested in doing the program in these other majors I would say to look into it!</p>

<p>University Scholars Program
The University Scholars Program is intended for gifted and highly motivated candidates for BA and BS degrees at The University of Alabama whose objectives include degrees at the master’s or doctoral level. In participating University Scholars departments, with a closely integrated undergraduate and graduate program, qualified students begin graduate study in their senior year; such a program may lead to simultaneous completion of requirements for both master’s and bachelor’s degrees, each within its specified framework.</p>

<p>Students in the University Scholars Program are classified as undergraduates until they complete requirements for their undergraduate degrees and therefore may not hold graduate assistantships until their classifications are changed to graduate status. At that time, University Scholars will also become eligible for graduate fellowships and scholarships.</p>

<p>Any department that offers a graduate program may, with the approval of the dean of the Graduate School, participate in the University Scholars Program. The following programs are currently approved to participate in the University Scholars Program:</p>

<p>•Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
•Applied Statistics
•Finance
•Biological Sciences
•Chemical Engineering
•Chemistry
•Civil and Environmental Engineering
•Communication Studies
•Computer Science
•Consumer Sciences
•Criminal Justice
•Economics (College of Commerce and Business Administration)
•Economics (College of Arts and Sciences)
•English
•Electrical and Computer Engineering
•Finance
•French
•Geography
•German
•Health Studies (Sports Medicine Concentration)
•Human Nutrition and Hospitality Management (Food and Nutrition Concentration)
•Mathematics
•Mechanical Engineering
•Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
•Operations Management
•Physics and Astronomy</p>

<p>Below was the email sent a few months ago about STEM to MBA…Not sure if it helps you at all. I know that the University Scholars program is department centered, so you would contact the department where you want to get your Masters for advising. </p>

<p>On behalf of the Manderson Graduate School of Business at The University of Alabama, let me congratulate you on your admission to UA for your undergraduate studies. </p>

<p>Because you are a student with an excellent academic record and you have chosen to study in one of the science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) disciplines at UA, we are proud to offer you the opportunity of early candidacy for the University’s Masters of Business Administration (MBA) program. </p>

<p>The STEM path to the MBA is one way for you to distinguish yourself and broaden your career potential. I would encourage you to learn more about the STEM path to the MBA at maderson.cba.ua.edu/stemmba. If this opportunity matches your personal goals, simply complete the application on the “Apply” page. If you have any questions, I can be reached at <a href=“mailto:rmorgan@cba.ua.edu”>rmorgan@cba.ua.edu</a> or 205-348-9557. We look forward to seeing you on campus in August!</p>

<p>Bamabound…University Scholars isn’t a new program…it’s been around for years.</p>

<p>I think Bamabound was responding to vlines post.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yep I was responding to vlines. I’m going to try to locate the contact information to get in touch with someone regarding my University Scholars questions.</p>

<p>Try Dr. James Peery Cover. He’s the Professor that met with my daughter during BB regarding UniScholars.</p>

<p>That sounds great! Thank you!</p>

<p>One can do University Scholars in whichever participating program(s) they choose, provided that the meet the requirements for admission into that program. Economics and finance have many University Scholars who are not economics or finance majors.</p>