Question...

<p>So, I recently got an email about some scholarship nomination. It reads:</p>

<p>Dear XXX,</p>

<p>"While reviewing your application, we recognized your academic achievement and commitment to community service. The dedication you have demonstrated through academics and your surrounding community is considered admirable and does not go unnoticed. I am pleased to announce that you are being considered for a full-tuition award in honor of Ronald A. Hammond.</p>

<p>Ronald A. Hammond, one of the first African-American administrators at the University of Miami, served as the first director of minority affairs which has since become the Department of Multicultural Student Affairs. He embodied the ideals of academic excellence, accountability, and assisting others through service.</p>

<p>This is a merit-based award and does not reflect any need-based financial assistance for which you may be eligible. If you wish to apply for additional sources of financial assistance, and have not already done so, please submit the 2008-2009 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible.</p>

<p>In recognition of Hammond’s selfless efforts at the University of Miami, we would like to commend you for embracing the same ideals. If you are interested in being nominated, please respond to me by Friday, February 22, 2008 via email or you may fax your intent to be considered to me at 305.XXX.XXXX."</p>

<p>Here's the thing though: the awards talks about diversity and hints towards being a minority. I'm Asian Indian, but, and please don't call me racist because that's not my point, I was thinking it was more for african-americans or hispanics, as they are the more traditional form of URM. Is this award being a sent mistake perhaps? If not, do I just need to reply back to the person who sent it to me (as in literally hit reply on my email) and say something like, "I am interested in being nominated" or something, or do I have to do more?</p>

<p>thanks!</p>

<p>I got the email too, and im chinese. i looked at their site and its def for african americans who live in florida. i dont fall under that. but i replied back and said im interested.</p>

<p>It's not just for them just because Hammond was black. You're a minority. You've been considered. This is no mistake.</p>

<p>So can only residents of Florida get this or is it possible for someone out of state to get this?</p>

<p>on their requirements it says u have to be a florida resident. but i still got the email. also, if u look at their website and look at the students that received the scholarship, you kno who their aiming for.</p>

<p>Have any of you been accepted?<br>
My son received this email as well. So, should we look at this as a likely letter?
How many scholarships are they giving?</p>

<p>havent been accepted either, but going to miami tues for hpme interview</p>

<p>uhhh I'm not from Florida...again, more evidence that this is a mistake is piling up.</p>

<p>A select group of out of state students are invited to apply.
Ronald</a> A. Hammond Scholarship</p>

<p>yea, got another email. this thing requires an interview on campus. just went there a week ago for hpme interviews. i doubt ill go again.</p>

<p>I got a new email I'm OOS and said I don't require anything additional and that they will notify me by no later than mid april. So it's true then that we are the first OOS students to get this nomination? Think anybody who's out of state has a decent shot at getting this since they went out of their way to notify us?</p>