Questions about Greek Life

<p>We are just back from our first visit. I loved everything about it aside from the distance from home (Ohio). Our DD was impressed and very excited! After the tour we went to do some shopping and while in one of the Alabama gear stores (not on campus), we struck up a conversation with two of the workers who were students. They were super friendly and helpful. One of them asked if DD was interested in Greek life, to which we answered “Absolutely!”. She went on to tell us that her chances were slim being from Ohio and that mostly southern girls were chosen. Our DD was crushed. We have no Greek history in our families. DH and I are first generation college grads and neither of us pledged. The more I read online, the more I realize what a huge ordeal it is to be “chosen” and I am not convinced this is something I want for her. I would love to hear thoughts on the Greek life. I have no idea what to expect.</p>

<p>You got bad information. Maybe that’s how it was a long time ago, but the incoming sorority class this year had more OOS girls than in-state girls. There are a number of posters on here with OOS daughters who went through recruitment and received bids, and I’m sure they’ll chime in.</p>

<p>My D (from Illinois) did not go through recruitment (she wanted to do Outdoor Action during recruitment week), but we know of girls from Illinois who went through recruitment, received bids and are pledging.</p>

<p>Not true at all. If you look under greek life on the UA website, they list the pledges by sorority, with hometown and state. There are a couple of houses that take few OOS, but there are others that are filled primarily with OOS pledges. The rest fall in the grey area in between. The houses that take few OOS girls seem to be the ones who are strict about receiving multiple RIFs from PNM’s before rush (at least the correlation seems to be there if you do some research).</p>

<p>Yep, what the precious two posters said is true. OOS girls do fine these days.</p>

<p>Don’t let what those girls said worry you. You do need to come in fully prepared with recs, though, and good people skills.</p>

<p>I know you meant Previous, MW, but it was nice to be called precious!</p>

<p>Yep, what the precious two posters said is true. OOS girls do fine these days.</p>

<p>Don’t let what those girls said worry you. You do need to come in fully prepared with recs, though, and good people skills.</p>

<p>Oops posting from my phone, and, apparently not too well!</p>

<p>I sent you a pm. The information you received is not entirely correct. Many OOS girls go through recruitment and receive bids. Recommendations are a must! I am more than happy to help with the process.</p>

<p>I think those two at the store were more specifically talking about the upper echelon old row sorority types. Those places, like Phi Mu, are extremely picking about taking mostly southern legacies, so it’s much harder to get into those OOS unless you have some sway. But there are definitely plenty of other sororities that will most definitely give her a bid depending on her personality.</p>

<p>Thank you all so much! She is feeling much better about her prosepcts now. We have A LOT of research to do, clearly. We are looking for a sorority with less of a party focus (we don’t drink, smoke, etc.). She is very into fashion and the southern lifestyle and charm that can incorporate her Christian values. I am hoping she can find a good fit.</p>

<p>i thought i posted this already, but i dont see where it went.</p>

<p>there were 27 ohio girls that got bids this year and 20 last year.</p>

<p>idk if there are any sororities with less of a party focus. there are all types of girls in every sorority, but i would say that the majority do drink and party.</p>

<p>my daughter sounds kind of like yours. she has found friends in her sorority.</p>

<p>My DD is a freshman from Pennsylvania and getting initiated tonight into a great sorority. She is very happy. The best thing to do is to become well informed and possibly go to Greek Preview weekend (it was in March last year). It will give you and her a little “taste” of Greek life</p>

<p>My D went through recruitment and loved it! I was so nervous after reading so many posts and blogs. We are from Texas but some of her best friends (pledge sisters) are from Maryland, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Georgia… all over! She is not a legacy, she had 2 rec letters for almost all, no letters of support, good grades, good test scores, EC and community service were average. I would also recommend Greek preview weekend. She met a lot of girls there (including her sweet roommate) and she made connections with some upperclassmen. It only takes one or two to know your daughter and it will make recruitment less stressful. Also I would have her contact anyone from Ohio by facebook or something. These girls are sweet girls and would love to help out a new freshmen from their hometown or state. And most important … listen to Alphimommy and read her blog, sororitygirl101! She is amazing and extremely helpful! She is still helping me months after recruitment! :)</p>

<p>I realize it is almost completely apples and oranges @ Bama when comparing Fraternities and Sororities with the practices they follow for recruitment. I suppose in some respects the formal process the ladies use could be seen as an advantage, because the informal nature of the spring/summer process the fraternities use is difficult for an OOS male freshman. My only wish is that we would have known more about the process ahead of time, but I have to admit it is rather impractical to expect an incoming freshman to make one or more trips down for the summer parties. Our Son is still contemplating a spring rush, but he has recently really become active with residence hall leadership, so we shall see…</p>

<p>However, I realize that the rigid process the ladies follow has its own perils. At least they do not officially start until the fall term starts (or shortly before)…</p>

<p>The sororities hold recruitment the week BEFORE school starts.
There are plenty of pros and cons about the NPC method of recruitment, but this has been developed over many, many years and accommodates the extremely competitive nature of the game. Sororities began organizing together for recruitment 100 or so years ago…since the days the sororities would go to the train station and pledge young women as soon as they stepped off the train!</p>

<p>The fraternity process is more of a mystery to me - our son never went through an IFC-style rush at another school. But I do know it’s more about personal interaction. Many men pledge second semester after they get to know fraternity members on campus.</p>

<p>I completed 3 RIFs for OOS freshman woman. Like your D, all three were very nervous. Knowing they had a slim chance of a bid from my sorority, I encouraged the women to keep an open mind and not to get their heart set on a specific sorority. Happy to report that all three received bids and are very happy!</p>