Questions about McGill

The increase in international tuition at McGill and other top Canadian universities has been going on for several years and is not related to the Quebec situation. International tuition for some programs at University of Toronto is almost C$70,000/year!

I am a McGill grad. Montreal is a great city for any student. Safe. A city with a unique European flavor. Colder and snowier in the winter. But, for a student, it doesn’t make a difference. The campus is in the center of downtown.

As for tuition, be careful and do your homework. Non-Quebec students pay 3times the rate of Quebec residents. To be considered Quebec or other Canadian check the requirement. I believe if you haven’t done high school in Canada, you are in the “international pool”. Passport/Citizenship may not count or matter.

To pay the out of province Canadian tuition a student only needs to show proof of Canadian citizenship. They may never have set foot in Canada. If the student was born outside Canada to a Canadian citizen, they can claim Canadian citizenship and pay the Quebec tuition rate if they never lived in Canada.

1 Like

Quebec tuition rate is different from “Out of quebec” tuition rate. The “out of Quebec” tuition rate is 3 times higher and maybe 6 times higher by next year. To get the Quebec rate, the child needs a Quebec permanent code and proof of schooling in Quebec. The Quebec residency status is very different than the Canadian residency status.

Please refer to Situation 8c. If a Canadian citizen was born outside Canada and has not lived in Canada for more than three months they can qualify for the in-province Quebec tuition rate:
Situation 8 | Legal Documents - McGill University

A lot of paperwork but a big savings. The student would pay the out of province Canadian rate the first semester. If all the paperwork is in before the end of the semester the difference between in and out of province tuition would be refunded and the student pays the Quebec rate from then on.

2 Likes

Be careful is all I am saying. The Quebec govt is not looking to do non-francophones any favors.

2 Likes

I am surprised that the government has not closed that loophole. And it is a loophole. But several posters here on CC in the past have used 8c and received Quebec tuition.

1 Like

Indeed, as the CAQ’s tuition hike also set a minimum for international tuition, I was specifically referring to the fact that the deregulation increase at McGill has already happened, most notably between 2020 ($24,728.40 for a BA) and 2023 ($42,228.30 for a BA).

I am also really surprised they haven’t closed that loophole!

1 Like

I spoke to someone very familiar with the loophole and they issued the same warning I did. The “politics” have changed a lot and the Education Ministry’s relationship with Mcgill has deteriorated. With the tripling of non-province tuitions planned, they will more likely crack down on anything or look into anything non-standard. Becareful.

I have a quesstion as I’m apply as a mature student. It says you must:

Demonstrate academic potential by successfully completing a minimum number of specific courses (see ‘Minimum grades & prerequisites’ below) within the three-year period prior to admission and no later than May 15th of the year of application for the intended program (May 1 for some programs). These courses, which may be completed at CEGEP or university, will also fulfill prerequisites for the intended program

But it only says CEGEP and University not College. Does College not count or is it considered equivalent to CEGEP?

*as I’m applying.

sorry for the typo.

Cegep in Quebec = college in the rest of Canada

1 Like

thank you!

What makes a good letter of intent? Working on mine now and getting a bit stumped.

=Community college in the US.

1 Like

CEGEP is not really the equivalent of community college. Quebec has no grade 12. It is considered pre-university. It is a bit different than community college.

But community college is the closest American analogy. In Quebec it is a required program as opposed to an option in the US.

Yes, I find the concept of a "transition college " for all students terrific. (For Americans who don’t know, cegeps cover grade 12 and the 1st year of college -mandatory if you want to go to University- but your gen eds also count toward a 3-year applied degree like nursing and forestry, which qualifies you for various professions or 2nd year entry into related university majors. It’s free for Quebec residents.)
For the purpose of this thread and OPs question, though, Québec Cegep= Anglo Canada college.

1 Like

Just for clarification. There are a couple of school in Quebec that offer grade 12. The entire CEGEP system is a love-hate one. Some love it. Others hate it as a waste of time. I find it is really good but, depends on your program and school. I believe it is a great step for those not quite ready for university. Unfortunately, like everywhere else, it is getting quite competitive to get into. The whole point of the system was to prevent kids from dropping out of the educational system after high school. What is happening now is not enough places for all the students. Quebec also has this bizarre R-Score system for CEGEP for kids trying to get into university. It is an arcane average scoring system based on class averages and where you went to high school. It determines which university you can get accepted to.