Questions About Middlebury Language School

I’ve recently been admitted to Middlebury’s Chinese school this summer, and I am super excited. I really want to go, but I’ve noticed that it seems like most students at the Language Schools are older college students or graduate students. I’m a senior in high school, and I feel like it would feel extremely weird socially to be living with a bunch of much older students for 8 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with this, or any advice? If I decide to not go, will this be a major roadblock to re-applying to the Language School in the future?

Have you contacted the school ask asked? I’d suggest asking them a lot of questions to find out if the class is a good fit over all.

I don’t think you should get hung up about age. You may think they are so old, but they probably still feel like they are your age!
I presume when you applied, you stated your age, so if the school is okay with it, then go with the “diversity”.

What’s your fluency level in Chinese? If you’re relatively new to the language and hope to pursue it in college, then the jump-start of an immersion program this summer could really make a huge difference going forward.

What would you do this summer if you didn’t do the Midd program?

I agree with others - ask, don’t assume. Ask Midd whether there are students you can talk with who did the program at your age, and whether there will be some other younger students in the mix this year.

I’ve taken four years of Chinese in high school, but the pace of the class was abysmally slow. So, I’d say I’m advanced for a beginner if that. If I didn’t do the Midd program I would probably work all summer and save money.