Questions about music department and University Fellows

<p>I’m a senior who’s been accepted to Alabama, and I’ve already been offered full tuition, and will probably be receiving a full ride in February, because I’m likely to become a National Merit finalist. So obviously, I’m strongly considering the university! However, I’m planning to major in music education, and I’m having a difficult time learning much about the university’s -music department in general, -music education program, specifically, and -trumpet studio/professor. If anybody has experience with any of these, please could you give me some information on the caliber of the program?</p>

<p>Second, I’ve also been invited to apply to this whole University Fellows thing. I’m not entirely sure what I would gain by becoming a Fellow - what’s this whole thing about? The invitation is fairly vague. </p>

<p>Thanks a lot!</p>

<p>My son was in the music ed program at UA several years ago. It was excellent. Of course their marching band is fantastic and an experience I highly recommend (as does my son), if you are into that sort of thing…</p>

<p>My daughter is a freshman this year, majoring in biology and minoring in music (flute). Her best friend in high school wanted to be a music education major, playing trumpet. She found out that not only would she have to be accepted into the school as a music education major, she would also have to be accepted into the trumpet instructor’s trumpet studio. He usually accepts only 6-8 freshmen each year. </p>

<p>She was a good trumpet player, but wasn’t sure she was that good. She had been to UA’s summer jazz band multiple times since middle school, UA Honor Band her senior year, and was section leader of the high school band. She took a few private lessons with the trumpet instructor her senior years, and ultimately decided not to pursue the music education major.</p>

<p>UA has a very good, very well-respected music program. I would encourage you to go for a site visit and arrange a meeting with the trumpet instructor, who can give you an idea of your chances, although he won’t promise anything. The whole music department is full of incredibly talented musicians, and there is competition to be admitted into the different programs.</p>

<p>My daughter met with the flute instructor in October of her senior year. While at Honor Band, she auditioned for the Million Dollar Band and received participation scholarships for MDB (fall) and other band ensembles (spring). </p>

<p>Music minors are also supposed to audition, but because of D’s meeting with the flute instructor, which really became a mini Master Class, in which she played for and with the flute instructor, she didn’t have to formally audition. The instructor said she’d heard D play, and she was in with no problem. (It also probably helped that D had just won our local youth Orchestra’s concerto competition.)</p>

<p>If you live close enough to make it possible without missing too much school, I definitely recommend applying for UA’s Honor Band. You can find info on the music department’s web site at music.ua.edu. </p>

<p>One word of warning: the first semester music theory required class is brutal. The actual written work is very difficult, plus there is a lot of focus on singing scales and melodies. My D has never been a singer, and this part of the class has worried her all semester. However, she has a solid A in the class right now, although she’s afraid the singing on the final will bring her final grade down to an A minus (wrecking what she wanted to be a 4.0 for her first semester).</p>

<p>Over half the class failed the midterm. The way grading is done, if you fail that, there is absolutely no way to pass the class. The instructor sent a very strongly worded email advising all those who failed to drop the class immediately, as they had two days left to do so without it looking bad on their transcripts. He was encouraging to those with Cs and Ds, saying he and the teaching assistants could work with them to bring up those grades.</p>

<p>Oops, sorry, I just checked and Honor Band registration closed on November 18. </p>

<p>If you’re a super-skilled trumpet player, I don’t know if they would make an exception or not and accept a late registration.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot for your replies. </p>

<p>BAMAMom2Be: know, that’s my main concern - can I get into the trumpet studio? I desperately hope so, although I know that chances are slim. Do you have any idea how many freshmen audition, that he picks the 6-8 out of? That’s very interesting about the theory class, by the way, thank you. I’m not particularly concerned about that, though as music theory is something I’m very well-versed in already, and I do sing in my high school choir. (Bass section leader!) Thanks again!</p>

<p>I’m trying to remember the number who audition. I’m really not sure, but I think it may have been somewhere around 20-25. </p>

<p>Dr. Yates’ email address is on the school of music website. Why don’t you just send him an email? We found the flute prof to be very approachable, and always willing to answer my D’s questions during her senior year.</p>

<p>Sounds like theory class should be no problem for you! It’s apparently the class they use to weed out the program. Although the classes do get harder, I think they really try to keep everyone in the program from that point on. My D just made second chair of the Symphonic Band! It’s very competitive, so was thrilled to have done so well as a freshman.</p>

<p>Trumpetchap: now far away from campus are you? Any chance you could get down for a campus visit anytime soon? Before the end of this semester?</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I live ~750 miles away, so that’s really not practical. I think I’m just going to be able to make one trip down there for the audition itself, and I’ll explore the campus and stuff on the same trip.</p>