Questions about summer SITE program?

<p>Has anyone done this? It sounds like a great chance for DS to get a real feel for UA and engineering, just wondering if anyone has tried it? Thanks!</p>

<p>[Student</a> Introduction to Engineering (SITE) - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://site.eng.ua.edu/]Student”>http://site.eng.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>It looks like that is for high school rising juniors and seniors. Sounds like fun! I don’t know if many here have done that program. It seems (to me) that many prospective eng’g students here on College Confidential learned about Bama during the summer before senior year and may have missed the opportunity.</p>

<p>I did it a long time ago. It’s very fun - it’s basically engineering summer camp.</p>

<p>This is a timely thread. HS Jr. DD2 saw the SITE program on the UA website when setting up her April campus/honors/engineering tour. She thought this camp would give her exposure to more engineering disciplines and would help her narrow her interests down, so she applied. We are from the midwest, so she will be meeting all new people while there.</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear that it was fun.</p>

<p>Son’s best friend did this summer before senior year. Really enjoyed it. His parents went to the orientation event and said it was very, very nice. Nice reception held at some part of the stadium.</p>

<p>YES, do this! It will either cement your student’s decision to study engineering, or turn them off completely - both of which are valuable things to learn before you commit further time/money/resources. My son did similar programs at two different schools last summer (not UA). It gave him a real comparison not only between the dozen different engineering disciplines, but the two different schools themselves. And, while he chose neither of these schools, attending both allowed him to further compare UA to those schools. Attending ANY summer eng’g program will be beneficial and well worth your time and money, IMO.</p>

<p>My D attended a summer program junior year on engineering and a surgery/med school camp senior year. Best money we ever spent. I highly recommend.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! I will be mailing in his acceptance tomorrow :)</p>

<p>All signed up and waiting for details now.</p>

<p>Do these classes normally fill up? I still haven’t see any posts about it, even on the summer programs board. </p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>Wanted to bump this thread. </p>

<p>DH just moved DD into the dorms for this week long engineering camp. She sounded really excited on the phone talking about meeting her roommates (3, their suite is full), having dining hall passes for meals, classes in various buildings around campus (one English, one Math, and one Intro to Engineerig class each day), and going on tours off campus.</p>

<p>DD and DH toured UA in April and were lucky enough to meet with administrators, deans, faculty and several current engineering students who answered her questions about how classes and life are at UA. I think this camp experience will be something of a capstone pre-college experience, allowing her to “wear the shoes of a student” and see how campus life fits. She should also be able to determine whether she is really cutout for engineering before college app season begins. </p>

<p>DH will be e-mailing me a copy of the daily schedule. I would be happy to post it plus DD’s impressions if anyone is interested.</p>

<p>I have to admit I’m actually looking forward to the “retrieval” trip on Friday(even if it is a 24 hour turnaround) because I have never been to the campus before. Plus I get to hear all about DD’s experience immediately after camp ends.</p>

<p>^^^What dorm is she staying at? Ridgecrest West and East has summer school students and some special program kids, but didn’t know if the precollege campers were there. Wondering if they’re staying at Riverside, so as to be separate from the college kids. There are some ballerina students over at Blount for a camp, so I guess she could even be there, too?</p>

<p>MereMom: Yes, please post the schedule and any details. My rising sophomore D would be interested for next summer. Hope your D enjoys the program.</p>

<p>Montegut, they are in Riverside West. It sounds like UA does a good job keeping groups spaced out so as to avoid inappropriate exposure (if you know what I mean).</p>

<p>Thanks SO much for posting! I am on the countdown to take DS to the next session and would love to know all about it.</p>

<p>SITE Program Schedule Outline (times vary day by day for class/tour activities)</p>

<p>7AM Breakfast at Ferguson Center
Computer Science Class<br>
Intro to Engineering Class
UA Admissions/Info Sessions/Off Campus Plant Tour
11:30 AM Lunch
Department Tours (Bio/ChemE/EE/CivilE/CS/ME/AE)
Math Class
English Class
Free-time
5:30 PM Dinner
Design Project Work Sessions Mon, Tues, Thurs
Free-time (Mon/Tues), Off Campus Bowling (Wed), Off Campus Pizza & Movie (Thurs)
11 PM Cerfew
On Friday, the kids will have their projects evaluated, go on a tour of the Metallurgy E department and take a stadium tour before meeting up with parents for luncheon and awards. Campers depart between 1:30 and 2PM Friday.
The parent handbook indicates that campers are restricted to campus except for scheduled group events. The on campus classes and activities are held in SERC, SEC, BL, Bevill, Shelby, Lloyd, Hardaway, Riverside West, Lakeside Dining and Ferguson Student Center. A group photo is taken in front of Comer. They don’t say where the plant tour will be at (I’m sure it’s different each session).</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the info. Sounds like great time!</p>

<p>I forgot to mention that DH saw the list and there are between 40 and 50 at the camp this week. I would imagine next week will see similar numbers.</p>

<p>Just curious, why is there English class in the Engineering camp?</p>

<p>Do they receive any college credit for the classes they take?</p>

<p>I think the Design Project incorporates elements of all 4 classes. I would imagine (without hard facts) there is some element of scientific/technical write up for the project - the format for that may be part of the class. </p>

<p>linnylu: No, the course is only a week. Hardly sufficient time to complete a semester’s worth of work. </p>

<p>ParkTN: Engineering programs at most colleges we’re familiar with include a requirement of at least one writing course and often a public speaking course. Engineers need to know how to communicate with the rest of us!</p>