Questions about UC to UC Transfers. UCR to UCSB specifically

How easy is it to transfer from one UC to another UC? For example, if I attend UCR first and want to transfer to UCSB, how easy is it to get in? Would I also have to attend UCR for 2 years first and then apply to transfer?

UC to UC transfers are definitely possible but CC to UC transfers get priority over UC to UC transfers although some campuses are more transfer friendly to UC to UC transfers.

That said, UCSB accepts Junior level transfers so a minimum 60 semester/90 quarter units to transfer which usually translates into 2 years at the current UC. If you some DE/CC credit from HS, then that could shorten the time required for transfer.

Disadvantage for UC to UC transfers is that you cannot use TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee) for some of the UC campuses since you need to be a community college student.

UC’s do not have articulation agreements with other UC’s, so major prep and GE requirements can vary from campus to campus. You would need to match the transfer course requirements at UCR to UCSB.

Also I would suggest if you plan to do a UC to UC transfer, get a GE reciprocity letter from UCR.

Reciprocity is the completion of the general education requirements as listed at your current UC. Each UC has its own set of GE requirements that need to be completed in order to graduate and they don’t match across campuses. If you are hoping to transfer from one UC to another in junior standing, the best thing you can do is complete the GE requirements listed at your current UC and get a Letter of Reciprocity . The Letter, which you request from the Registrar’s Office, certifies that you completed the full GE course list at your current UC and will therefore not be required to take any other GE courses at your new UC, even if they differ.

That said, you should never attend a school with the intention of transferring. You need to give the school a chance first, but after 1 year you are not happy, then transferring maybe an option.

Here is some UC transfer GPA admit data by campus and major to help determine if the transfer is possible. The numbers are based on CC to UC transfers.

2 Likes

It’s not easy to transfer from one UC to another. If you are really really set on UCSB, it would be wiser to take courses at Santa Barbara City College and then transfer in (you can be a guaranteed admit if you meet the requirements). Most transfers into the UC are reserved for students coming from the CC system in California.

1 Like

If UCSB is where you want to be because of the education and college experience then see the thread I wrote Backdoor way into UCSB

1 Like

UC to UC transfers have a higher chance than CSU to UC transfers, right?

I want to major in accounting and since I was waitlisted at UCSB, I was hoping I could attend UCR first and then transfer. UCD and UCR are my only UC options and UCD doesn’t have accounting as a major or minor which is why if I were to choose UCD, I would be attending the school with the intention of transferring. Does it really matter which UC I attend for 2 years since I just have to fulfill the GE requirements?

You not only need to fulfill the GE requirements but the major prep courses for UCSB.

Economics, B.A.
Economics & Accounting, B.A.

• General Education or IGETC
    -Macroeconomics
    -Microeconomics
    -1st & 2nd semester calculus and specifically for
    Economics & Accounting, B.A.:
    -1 or 2 semesters financial accounting

Complete four required major preparation courses - macroeconomics, microeconomics, and two calculus courses - and attain a GPA of 2.75 or better in these four courses with no individual grade lower than “C.”

Also Econ/Accounting is a selective major for Transfers.

• Advanced Placement exams in macroeconomics and microeconomics may NOT be used to satisfy major preparation requirements.
  • When submitting your UC application, you should select an economics major as your first choice major. If you would consider studying in an alternate field, consider selecting an alternate major outside of economics for the greatest opportunity for selection at UCSB. Students who are not admitted to economics may be admitted to an alternate major, but should expect to complete their degree in the major to which they were admitted.
1 Like

I am not really really set on UCSB, it’s just one of the 2 UCs that have accounting as a major. I’m wondering if one UC’s program is better than the other: UCR’s Business Administration concentrated in Accounting major vs. UCSB’s Economics & Accounting major. I would like to attend a UC/CSU because of the affordability compared to privates, so I also have CSUN and SJSU as options. Out of the four, which one is the best option? I didn’t know what colleges to apply to for accounting but saw that CSUN was ranked #12 in Accounting and Finance in California on Niche.

I’m completely dependent on financial aid though. My family can’t really afford to pay for my housing and other fees if I go to SBCC.

Accounting and Finance rankings for CSUN, SJSU and UCR are pretty comparable depending on the Ranking institute so if money/affordability is an issue, select the most affordable and desirable campus of the 3.

1 Like

They would all cost relatively the same amount so putting aside the money issues and considering other factors like class registration, commuting, etc. which one would be better? Would CSUN and SJSU not be better than UCR since their major is solely for accounting and not like business admin concentrated in accounting? I’m so sorry for all these questions, I don’t know anything about these schools.

So for affordability which schools can you commute to and which will you have to live on-campus? You have your FA packages from all 3?

I would compare the curriculums for each program. For UCR, you are admitted as a Pre-Business major and then need to complete required courses to officially declare the major and continue with Accounting concentration.

Students who enter UCR as freshmen initially enroll and are advised in the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences in a Pre-Business status. The College breadth requirements and the prerequisites for a Business Administration major are completed during the freshman and sophomore years. An application to Business Administration is submitted at the end of the sophomore year. Upon acceptance, students become Business Administration majors and are then advised in the School of Business, Undergraduate Business Program Administration.
Pre-Business (PRBS) Program | CHASS Student Academic Affairs

For CSUN and SJSU I am assuming you are direct admit into the Accounting program.

https://catalog.csun.edu/resource/road-map/2022/accountancy-professional-accountancy-option-2022/

1 Like

I can only commute to SJSU and will have to live on-campus at UCR and CSUN. I only have my FA package from UCR but I assume the CSU packages will all be around the same amounts. My tuition, housing, and meal plan are all almost completely covered by UCs’/CSUs’ aid.

Do not assume that the CSU packages will be comparable. I have seen several FA packages from both the UC and CSU and there are some differences. SJSU would be then the most affordable if you commuted but do you want to stay near family or try something different?

All 3 schools will prepare if you plan to sit for the CPA exam so pick the school in which you like best. Have you visited UCR and CSUN? I would definitely visit before making a final decision.

I thought it would be safe to assume the packages would be relatively the same since our sole source of income is from the government, I have an EFC of 0, and I’m completely covered for UCs by the Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan.

I would like to stay away from home which is why I don’t really want to attend CCs nearby. Unfortunately, I cannot visit any colleges that are not within a few hours (probably maximum 3?) drive due to our financial situation and some other reasons.

@Gumbymom - Earlier in this thread you stated, “…although some campuses are more transfer friendly to UC to UC transfers.” I’m curious about what UC’s you are referring to and if you have any specific numbers regarding them. Thank you for all the great info you provide!

More hearsay but UCLA is known to be more Transfer friendly as far as UC to UC transfers. Priority will always go the CA CC transfers for all the campuses.

1 Like

UCLA says

We give highest priority to applicants from California community colleges and other UC campuses.
https://admission.ucla.edu/apply/transfer/transfer-requirements

However the CA Master Plan says

The transfer function is an essential component of the commitment to access. UC and CSU are to establish a lower division to upper division ratio of 40:60 to provide transfer opportunities to the upper division for Community College students, and eligible California Community College transfer students are to be given priority in the admissions process.
California master plan for higher education | UCOP

Also the UC system has a data page at Undergraduate admissions summary | University of California that lets you see source school and admit rate for all UCs or just one such as UCLA. Unfortunately they do not break out UCs from other colleges; transfer sources are CCC, other US colleges, and foreign. Overall for the UC system in 2021 17% of transfer apps were from other US colleges and they made up 9% of admits. For UCLA specifically the numbers are 17% and 7%. It’s not entirely clear what this means since we don’t know how many intercampus apps they get relative to all others; make of it what you wish.

So maybe UCLA is a bit easier on intercampus transfers, or maybe not…

2 Likes

My Thoughts:

“The study of firms’ behavior in making decisions on a country level, organizational level, and individual level when it comes to scarcity of resources is termed microeconomics. It is a branch of economics that involves the study of phenomena and events affecting the economy on both the individual level and the country level. Studying microeconomics is quite tough because it mainly includes the study of unemployment, inflation rate, growth, and the decision-making of firms when it comes to the allocation of limited resources in the country.”