questions about VT

<p>so i'm a junior in high school, female. i'm in computer science 4 this year, and i love it. i plan to pursue computer science in college and virginia tech is right now my number 1 choice. i would love if someone would be willing to talk to me about it or answer some questions i have?</p>

<ol>
<li><p>do you think i could get in? 3.7, 4.5 weighted. 9 APs by the end of highschool. 1920 SATS (kinda sucks, i'm taking it again soon), white female, out of state, nhs, tons of community service, no work experience, varsity cross country, indoor/outdoor track all 4 years, 3 time state champion cross country team.</p></li>
<li><p>i know its going to be challenging, especially in the engineering school, and i'm okay with that. but i still want to have fun. how are the parties? are people work hard/play hard?</p></li>
<li><p>ive heard that blacksburg is really boring, but how bad is it really? what is there to do?</p></li>
<li><p>in general, how are the people? diversity? are people accepting? preppy?</p></li>
<li><p>i'm big into sports, especially football. how hard is it to get tickets? about how many games do you think i'd be able to go to?</p></li>
<li><p>how is the weather? i'm from maryland. is it probably about the same?</p></li>
<li><p>any fun places to go on weekends? how far is virginia beach or other places?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>thank you sooo much, really.</p>

<p>Virginia Beach if 5+ hours away. Depending on where in Maryland, you probably have similar weather. I wouldn’t consider VT a preppy campus but you’ll spot a few. My granddaughter and my nephew are both JRs. this year…neither ever seem to get bored. Guess it depends on your interests but lots of outside activities if you like hiking, skiiing, rafting, etc.</p>

<p>Improve the SAT’s…I would think your GPA is pretty good. Best Wishes.</p>

<p>1) I don’t like making admissions guesses but probably. Work on the SAT and very probably.</p>

<p>2) Parties are fantastic. I’m an engineer and you still have time to party, you just have to know when there is time and when there isn’t.</p>

<p>3) People who say that Blacksburg is boring aren’t used to having to seek out fun. It isn’t as exciting as a big city, but there is absolutely plenty to do.</p>

<p>4) Not preppy really, I’d say they’re accepting. I’ve never really seen any racial/etc. issues on campus, but then again I’m a white guy so maybe I just wouldn’t notice.</p>

<p>5) After your freshman year you can buy a season ticket for like $70 and go to all the football games. Freshman year you do the lottery and will probably hit around 2/3rds of the games, more if you’re willing to go to the ticket office early if you get it on the 2nd or 3rd round drawings.</p>

<p>6) Dunno if it’s the same as maryland. Cold and windy in the winter, hot during the summer, great during spring and fall. We got a ton of snow this winter but that was everywhere.</p>

<p>7) Va Beach is really far away. You can go white water rafting and skiing in WV, which is about an hour away. DC is like 3 hours although living in Maryland that might not be too exciting. A lot of people go to JMU for the weekend to party every once and a while. Our parties are good, but they are professionals.</p>

<p>thanks guys, this is really helpful.</p>

<p>I’d say that the weather is fairly comparable to Maryland, but the winters tend to be windier and colder and the summers tend to be milder (far less humidity).</p>

<p>Since you’re going into Computer Science and Chuy already explained most of your points, a couple of things you should consider:

• I’m not sure if you’ve already taken AP Computer Science AB, but if you have, you’re going to essentially take it over again in CS2114. It is the exact same material so I’m thinking that VT kinda messed up the credit for that test. You may still want to take the class if your high school offers it (even though there’s no AP test anymore) just because it makes the aforementioned course ridiculously easy.
  • Take a science AP course (Physics or Chemistry) and AP Calculus BC. People complain about that stuff in high school but you knock out a lot of classes in college which gives you a lot of room to maneuver.
  • You’re going to have a pretty easy time in the introductory freshman engineering classes, which have been devoting more time to elementary programming concepts, but the “programming” never amounts to more than computing the volume of a frustum.
  • Try to knock out Discrete Math, Differential Equations, and Intro to Computer Organization as quickly as possible, they’re prerequisites to almost everything in the Computer Science department.</p>