Questions about wind ensemble in BAMA

<p>Is Wind Ensemble competitive? I mean college band should not be easy but I’d like to know</p>

<p>how competitive and how large it is because I am trying out for it. .</p>

<p>I’m not sure of the number of students in the WE but it is very competitive. Approx. 90-95% of the WE is made up of upperclassmen who are performance/music/music ed majors. They usually play repertoire in the Grade 4.5-6+ range. </p>

<p>There are 3 ensembles to choose from, so if you do not get into the WE, you may be placed in another one (Symphonic Band or Concert Band): <a href=“http://bands.ua.edu/ensembles/wind-ensemble/joinauditions/”>http://bands.ua.edu/ensembles/wind-ensemble/joinauditions/&lt;/a&gt; . Your chances depend on your blind audition (held behind a curtain), so technically no one has an advantage over you in terms of being known already by faculty. Depending on your instrument, and depending on your training prior to UA, will determine whether you get into the top ensemble. Some years they may be looking for 4 Tubas and the next only 1, depending on the music scheduled for that year. Also, look up these courses under MUA 152 and 154 to see when the rehearsals are. These are rigid and no use getting your hopes up if you cannot fit these into your schedule from the start. Finally, make sure you have the time and motivation to take any of these courses, because they are 1 credit only, and will take roughly 4 hours of class rehearsal time each week + additional mandatory sectional rehearsal times + concert times in the evenings, + on top of your OWN rehearsal time. From my son’s Huxford experience, university music groups are expected to practice additionally on their own, outside of scheduled class times to learn and master the music, and to come to ensemble/class rehearsals completely prepared. In HS his orchestra would work on one movement of a symphony for several months…at UA, they might do 3 full symphonies (all movements) per semester. I tell you all this not to scare you in any way, but to help make you fully prepared for what can be a wonderful experience to continue playing at a top level. I imagine it can be as gratifying and prestigious as playing a university sport, with like-minded individuals working together to perfect and hone their craft. Good luck!<br>
PS: The best audition advice I heard was from the current LA Philharmonic principal trumpet player, Thomas Hooten, who said to know ALL of your scales going into ANY audition. Even tho scales are not listed on the music to be played, students at this level should know all scales, all keys, and be able to sightread to demonstrate both musicality and rhythm/tempo. </p>

<p>thank you</p>

<p>Is there piano in anyone of the band?</p>

<p>Yes, there might be piano parts for all music ensembles (both wind and string, as well as choral and opera groups), when the music calls for it. Stand in line on that one, tho…I imagine that those parts would go to music majors (piano performance majors) only.</p>

<p>Also, don’t forget that you can take private (and possibly small group) lessons from any of the music instructors/professors at UA. These can be for-credit classes, and are listed under MUA in the course catalog. </p>

<p>Thanks Aeromom!</p>