Questions about Materials Engineering or Nano Engineering at UCSD and other UC’s for rising Senior 2024

Hi, would appreciate any advice for my kid wanting same major next year. Espec for summer coming up. Thank you. :relaxed:

Hello, just looking if you have any advice for my daughter interested in materials engineering for summer and in general. She will apply next year. Thank you!

@Kbear1 I have split off your posts to a separate discussion for your rising Senior. The current discussion is for Fall 2023 applicants and I am trying to keep that discussion on track.

Thank you.
UC Forum Champion

1 Like

I am not an expert in this area, it only happens to be the major that my son applied to at the UCs :slight_smile:

Did you have specific questions? Are you in state (CA) and working on developing her college list? I expect that other people will chime in if you post more information about your daughter and the questions you have.

1 Like

We are in state southern calif . I was just wondering if your kid did any specific summer activity that helped to stand out. And any advice in general. TY!

I don’t think they are looking for specific activities. My kid did not do any significant STEM ECs. Last year he didn’t even have a summer EC since his plans fell through at the last minute. His ECs were primarily music / arts, and community involvement (tutoring kids, etc). He has had a lot of depth of involvement in his school and community. Despite the lack of typical STEM ECs, I think he did a good job with the activity descriptions and PIQs, and managed to convey his genuine enthusiasm for his intended major.