Questions for a Badger.

<p>You get a lockable drawer. If you get locked out the best course of action is to contact your roommate, but failing that you can get a loaner key from your RA. However, I’m pretty sure these cost like $30 and you only get three over a semester or year (don’t quote me, though) so try not to get locked out. Use the same amount of common sense for walking around that you would anywhere. I have walked all around the campus area very late at night and never had a problem or been afraid. That might not be the smartest possible thing, though, but I’m not that afraid of such things.</p>

<p>Question about Wi-Fi connectivity…</p>

<p>There is wi-fi everywhere right? Like in the dorms, classrooms and other buildings? If you are just on the grounds, like the lakeshore/memorial union (outside) or on bascom hill or riding on a bus do you get wifi as well?</p>

<p>There is Wi-Fi in some dorms everywhere, but in others only in the common areas. You should get Wi-Fi if you’re near a class building. Not on the bus as far as I know. Bascom and other outdoor areas, you’ll be fine. You don’t have to be in the building, just near it.</p>

<p>Are the TVs in the dorms? Or even a mini-fridge or microwaves?</p>

<p>Yes to mini-fridge, no to TVs or microwaves. You’re welcome to bring your own. There’s also a TV in your dorm den.</p>

<p>The housing website has a ton of information:</p>

<p>[Division</a> of University Housing - Communities](<a href=“http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/communities/]Division”>http://www.housing.wisc.edu/assignment/communities/)</p>

<p>Among other things, if you click on room furnishings, it tells you what is supplied and what you can and need to bring.</p>

<p>btw- they’re called housefellows, not "RA"s (resident assistants). The lockable drawer dimensions vary from dorm to dorm- listed in the website for each, big enough for a laptop. Bring your own lock. Only one microwave oven per room- discuss with your roommate who might bring one. You can put it on top of the refrigerator. All rooms have high speed internet and cable tv connections for each student (they dropped phones/service recently)- I think the internet cable you could buy from the dorm front desks was cheaper than the one we brought. Remember- dorm rooms are always relatively small (room dimensions on website) so you can’t bring everything.</p>

<p>What are some places on the campus to hang out?</p>

<p>How long does it usually take to get the hang of the large atmosphere and party scene( from your experience)?</p>

<p>The brand new Union South opens in just a few weeks! I imagine it will quickly become a favorite hang out spot on campus. Lots to eat, lots to do…beautiful new building.</p>

<p>[Union</a> South - Wisconsin Union](<a href=“http://www.union.wisc.edu/visit-unionsouth.htm]Union”>http://www.union.wisc.edu/visit-unionsouth.htm)</p>

<p>Favorite on campus hangouts–Memorial Union–big gap; College Library; SERF; Union South. The old Union South never caught on as a place to hangout so we’ll have to see how the new one develops. I have my doubts–no views (Memorial and College Library have great lake views), dominated by engineering majors, far from State Street and most dorms.</p>

<p>But- the new Union South is near Camp Randall, many apts nearby, plus Comp Sci is close and a much better physical layout (Union South the original opened my freshman year- it had ugly red striped carpet, harsh indoor concrete lines, no outdoor space, et al) that seems to be a nicer place to hang out. Location relative to State St is irrelevant- there’s a lot more to Campus life than there… Except for the Union Terrace at the Memorial Union the view doesn’t matter. Warning- the White (College) Library is a hard place to study secondary to the distracting views.</p>

<p>btw- engineering majors are just as much a part of the campus as business et al majors and desrve more amenities close to their academic buildings (within recent decades that end of campus has been vastly improved with outdoor green spaces). Lakeshore dorm residents find the Steenbock Ag Library a convenient place to study. Not all action/relaxation happens in one corner of the campus.</p>

<p>The bottom line is that there are over 40,000 ways for undergrads and grads to enjoy the campus- to each his own. No need to like what is most popular- find your own niche… Depending on where you live and where your classes and friends are you will discover places to hang out.</p>

<p>I also find a lot of people just hang out in their dorms or in their apartments. College Library is hugely popular to study, and maybe the Union I guess, but I know few people who really just “hang out” there.</p>

<p>I accept that I know a remarkably small amount of the UW student body, however.</p>

<p>“What are some places on the campus to hang out?”</p>

<p>She asked for an opinion and I gave mine. IMHO Engineering and CS students are not that social and don’t spend much time just chatting over coffee hanging out. </p>

<p>Being closer to State Street means more people are nearby and likely to stop in to study or hangout before going up to State later to have some drinks or food. That would be my observation. College Library is known as one of the best pick-up spots on campus.
If she asked me for a quiet place to study my answer would be very different. But that was not the question.</p>

<p>Wow, Roxsox. I sincerely hope my son doesn’t meet you or anyone like you when he attends Madison in the fall. $18,000 a year, just to get “really drunk” all the time. You’re a waste of my taxes.</p>

<p>@ ZA_Commonsense,
My S1 is an likely Bucky this fall as well. Trust me, UW is a party school (other than being a great school academically). We just have to say what we have to say to our sons and hope for the best. It is part of growing up process, I guess. Sellery is very popular with the Freshman for a good reason. Guess what? S1 is ready to move into Sellery next fall.</p>

<p>Not every kid is a partier, however. My son is turned off by the whole idea of alcohol and drugs. I have no doubt he’ll find like-minded souls to “party” with, but he’ll remain sane and sober. He’s attending because of the world-class Neurobiology program and the opportunity to be in the marching band. Period.</p>

<p>kxc–I am appalled that you don’t have 100% creative control over your son’s dorm choices…:). And I hope that ‘likely Bucky’ becomes a definite!</p>

<p>ZA–my D is a no-partier sophomore. Lived on the Lakeshore last year, a house this year, an apartment next, and is on State St. all the time. Rumor has it there are others like her too…</p>

<p>ZA_CommonSense, your son will most certainly meet people like me. That’s just the culture of the majority of UW, or at least freshmen. Of course not everyone is a partier, that’s completely fine and your son will find plenty of things to do and like-minded people, that’s just the nature of a large university. However, he should know that he is attending a party school and that is the dominant mindset for a lot of things, especially in football season. That’s just how the school is. It’s why some people choose to go to UW. It was a factor in my decision. But of course it’s avoidable.</p>

<p>And as long as a person can do well in their classes, who cares if they use alcohol or drugs? If you think just that makes a person unworthy of your taxes, know that that would extend to a very large portion of the UW student body. However, most of us manage to do extremely well in school, so I fail to see how it even matters.</p>

<p>Just to respond to previous posts above:</p>

<p>@ZA, </p>

<p>S1 is the same. I offered him a sip or two occasionally when he was young. He hates alcohol. He is not very social either. I wanted him to be more social than he is, since we are living in a society after all. It just so happens that he loves biological sciences. Their path may cross someday on the UW campus…You never know.</p>

<p>@jnm123,</p>

<p>Although I grew up in a family that is not quite as democratic, I always try to treat my kids as an equal member of the family, plus some parental guidance, when necessary. In terms of choosing list of schools, I exerted more influence on him. In terms of dorms, I pretty much leave it to him. I will allow him to make his own mistakes on issues of less importance.</p>

<p>@ Roxsox,</p>

<p>I have been very clear to all of my kids: I would tolerate alcohol in moderation. No other mind-altering substance is allowed in my book. I think they are smart enough to listen to me. On issues like this, I firmly believe in Darwinian Theory. If all my off-springs are not smart enough, they will likely to be failing in passing on their genes down to the next generation.</p>