Questions for a Badger.

<p>@jnm…Lakeshore dorms. That’s where s has applied to live next year. First choice is Liz Waters, then Kronshag, then Slichter. We’ll see. He’s kind of a nature kid and loves the idea of quiet dorms near the lake. </p>

<p>@Roxsox…well, for starters it is illegal if you are under 21. As a citizen, I do have a say in that. I don’t buy the “it doesn’t hurt anyone” logic. This appears to be a maturity issue. Enough said.</p>

<p>@kxc…Here’s to non-partying Biology kids! Hope Sellery’s quiet enough for your son :wink: I’ve heard that it’s pretty loud…except for the WISE floor (girls only).</p>

<p>One of the benefits of Sellery is having plenty of freshman cohorts. They may want to form study group or hang out group, whatever. Yes, it was described as "loud and social " dorm. Well again, it is his decision. I will leave it to him pay the bills…</p>

<p>FYI, ZA–last year my D lived on the substance-free floor at Cole Hall on the Lakeshore. Think the sub-free floor moved to one of the other dorms around there for this year, don’t know about next. It worked well for her, she found many kindred spirits. But all the Lakeshore dorms are dialed down a notch from the likes of Sellery & Witte. Different strokes…</p>

<p>ZA, you’re way off base and it’s disgusting. You’re comments are directly insulting to 80% of the student body on the UW campus, many of whom understand BALANCE and, in my opinion, are better CITIZENS and STUDENTS because of their ability to keep social and academic priorities in perspective and a healthy correlative relationship. </p>

<p>Hopefully your son doesn’t ride in on the same high horse you’ve got bucking all over Bucky.</p>

<p>“It’s a maturity issue…” </p>

<p>Yeah, and your rigidity and inability to understand why UW alum are so UNIQUELY successful when lined up with their peers demonstrates to me that you’re quite out of touch with what true maturity is. In my book, the ability to moderate and balance far outweighs a heavy-handed conservatism towards any experiences outside the classroom or bio lab.</p>

<p>I’m sure you make a lot of money and do quite well for yourself, based on the condescending attitude. I appreciate your taxes which helped keep my education affordable. I drank and partied with the best of 'em and was an honors student to boot. Now I’m getting my MBA and had impressive job offers lined up prior to graduation. Oh–and I was previously accepted to the Pharm/Tox program, but turned it down. Probably should mention that since apparently it’s only the biological sciences that impress you.</p>

<p>I’d hire RoxSox over your kid anyday. Good luck to him in breaking your overbearing bonds.</p>

<p>Unreal.</p>

<p>@MNBadger,
Congratulations to your accomplishments! </p>

<p>In ZA’s defense, I do think that we should allow the freedom of expression and freedom for parents to set expectations to their children. Everyone makes his/her choices in life. I used to live with a roommate (an Vietnam Vet) who smoked pot. Heck, even one of our Presidents tried it and “did not inhale”! Thank God that we live in a free society and thank God the Darwinian Theory works, so far…</p>

<p>Cheers, and have a great life!</p>

<p>Even if most underage students drink that doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty of room for nondrinkers. It IS a maturity issue. The “study hard” part comes before the “party hard” in the saying. I wouldn’t be proud of being a drinker- but that doesn’t matter. What does matter is that a student can be happy without needing to conform to the drinking culture. There are many different lifestyles available to UW freshmen.</p>

<p>MNBadger- you still are a long ways from getting to be your final adult version. Tolerance is also asked of you. Perhaps your world will continue to include overindulgance of alcohol, the consequences of which will catch up with your health decades later.</p>

<p>Keep up the dissenting views people- don’t let the few students who post let their views be perceived as the entire campus culture. I know of too many students who don’t fit that stereotype.</p>

<p>EVERY school has parties, you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. However, there are consequences of all illegal actions, especially for students applying to professional schools (i.e. medical). There are parts of the AMCAS application where you will be asked about actions against you in school or with the law. Get caught and punished for underage drinking and it will have to be documented. Disorderly conduct. Controlled substances. You can imagine what we see. The “explanations” of these students don’t go far in appeasing competitive programs. That said, my D is in Sellery (which she chose for WISE) which is a fun place, however she gets to chose with whom and where she hangs out. It’s near Kohl and the gym, excellent choices for college fun. Learning to make the right choices while enjoying your new found freedom while facing temptation and peer pressure is the key.</p>

<p>Last time I was on campus for a Badger football game, there were plenty of warnings on those speed limit neon signs saying that OWI (I call it Out-&-About While Intoxicated) tickets were something like $315. And with police departments needing income, it’s easy pickings on a weekend night to nab one of these 18-year-old frosh in the Southeast dorms, or anywhere really. Practice moderation or parents–start writing the checks…</p>

<p>^In all honesty, the police will tell you themselves they only get involved if students are being belligerent or breaking things. The drinking age is enforced (by police) on a strictly behavior basis. They tell you this at SOAR and they are very up front about it. Cops do not go looking to bust 18 year olds. If someone gets busted for being drunk underage, you can be sure they were really getting out of hand - not just that they happened to be drinking.</p>

<p>Also, I was under the impression that OWIs were Operating While Intoxicated, as in driving. Very few students drive here, though on game days I imagine there are many people that drive to Madison and could be drunk. I do not think you can get a ticket (or if you can, the police will not give you one) simply for being drunk if you are managing to hold yourself at least somewhat together.</p>

<p>When you do go to visit, I would suggest kind of going off on your own.
When I visited, the tour was not great. We didn’t even go in the buildings, the guide just pointed to a building, said the name, and what was inside.</p>

<p>I know this kind of varies with the professor but how do professors lecture? In other words, do they give paper handouts for notes, post their PPT presentations on the internet, etc? What are the different options that are used for distributing notes and what do you think are the most common</p>

<p>It varies completely with the professor. Many do post powerpoints online, though. You don’t get handouts, you take notes yourself. But honestly it’s too big of a school to generalize at all. There are so many professors and they all teach differently.</p>

<p>Many professors post the powerpoints online on the Learn @ UW website (learnuw.wisc.edu) and you can print them out in advance for the whole semester. When my son took Psychology 201, he printed out the power points, hole-punched them, put them in a 3-ring binder and was all set for lecture, while other kids the first day were clueless (hey - where did you get the handouts?).</p>

<p>You can go log into the Learn @ UW website now and get familiar with it (set up your profile picture, etc). Once you register for classes, they will show up on this website and you will be able to access class materials shortly before the semester begins.</p>

<p>Some classes also require an iClicker (about $35) to answer multiple choice questions during lecture.</p>

<p>^Don’t set up your profile picture. It’s kind of like a joke here about how lame people are who do that. I mean you obviously can and it’s not a big deal at all, it’s just kind of a funny thing.</p>