Questions for Former UM Premed Students

Hello!

I am a senior and University of Miami is currently one of my top choices. For those of you who graduated from Miami and went on to medical school, I was wondering how well you thought your education at Miami prepared you. Did you feel ahead of, behind, or at the same level as the rest of your class? Do you think the pre-med counseling was exceptionally helpful? If I attend Miami I will be majoring in the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. I think it will come down to choosing between University of Miami and University of Michigan (in state and have also been admitted). I just believe that Miami will provide me with a better environment and a more personal experience.

Please comment on your pre-med experience at Miami.

mas1997- look at the premed thread started January 30 by freshray2020. I gave a lot of insight into the pre-med track at Miami as my S recently graduated and is now in medical school. As a Michigan alum of the business school from a long time ago, I can tell you that you can’t go wrong with Michigan or Miami. Unless you received a big merit scholarship from Miami, I would recommend that you to save your money and pay in state tuition at Michigan.

@racquetdad
Would you be able to share any insights about med school admittance (names /percentages) and undergraduate premed between Miami and USC?

@SoProudofMyChildren Congrats on Stamps and USC scholarships! Sorry but I really don’t know much about med school admittances percentages to Miami, USC, or other schools other than what is published on the med school websites. The AAMC website also publishes many stats. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you. @raquetdad .
Does Miller favor admittance from Miami?

I can say that they do have many Miami undergrads accepted into Miller. If I recall it is about 40 per year (but this would include some honors program in medicine and medical scholars students that are pre-accepted to Miller).

Even with those undergrad programs, 41 (2019 class} is quite amenable. Also, not sure if there is a difference for instate tuition, but it appears Florida only wants one year residence established to qualify for instate tuition. I believe student also needs to file a tax return in state as an independent.

My son is in his first year of medical school after graduating from Miami in the spring of 2015. He was very well prepared and had his choice of several highly respected medical schools (with even a couple very rare scholarship offers). It is important to remember no matter where you go that you also have to put in the work. My son worked very hard, earning top grades, and put a lot of effort into preparing for the MCAT as well. That said, he also had about as much fun at Miami as he could have wished for. I think that Miami has it all if you make the most of it.

@ccmom126
Was your son one of the Stamps or Singer Scholarship recipients?

Would you mind sharing some of his stats {UM GPA, MCAT, patient/research} and Med schools he got into? Home state?

In his or your experience from the Med school apps process and results, with similar stats and experience, how much difference in acceptance chances does it make with them coming from UM versus higher ranked schools like Emory, USC, Michigan, Northwestern?

We have heard it’s all stat, stats,stats, LoR and Research. Insight would be appreciated.

He was a Singer recipient and had very good stats - 38 MCAT, 3.97 GPA (summa cum laude). Miami provides an opportunity for students to start on research projects early - he was in the lab his sophomore year. But other than that he didn’t do a whole lot of ECs. I agree that it is all very stats based.

He was accepted at Case Western (where he is now), Northwestern, Miami, Illinois (our home state) and UVA. He was also wait listed at WashU, U of Chicago and Cornell and withdrew when making a decision to attend Case (GREAT decision!!!). We learned that there is a bias against students coming straight from undergrad - with that consideration, I can’t imagine having a better outcome.

As far as comparing to students from higher ranked schools, I know that he was among them at all his interviews and there are many in his current med school class, but there are also many in his class from lower ranked schools as well. His friends who attended higher ranked schools were all very jealous of him throughout his four years at Miami. I’m happy to answer any other questions you have - you can post or PM.

Best of luck to you all!

I assume you meant his friends are jealous of your S’s scholarship?

@4beardolls - my S’s friends were all jealous of the college experience he was having (in comparison to their own).

^Would you please elaborate on what types of college experiences your S had at UM that is better than his friends at higher ranked colleges?

Sure. It’s definitely based on the kid, but my S really enjoyed the football (tailgate!) and basketball games, he joined a fraternity, and had lots of fun. Not too crazy on the partying, but enough to get it out of his system now while many of his friends are done with school/studying and he has to work harder than ever. There are definitely high ranked schools that offer similar opportunities, but the weather was also a great factor in the experience. He was at pool parties when the rest of the country was in deep freeze. Again, it’s an individual decision, but it was a great one for my guy.

@ccmom126
This is fantastic info you are providing. My child is going crazy (us too) trying to find something more tangible to help make the decision. Your son’s experience is exactly as I would hope for any premed could afford to have the time to do; as indicated many premed have to work much more. My child just spoke to a current senior, also from Illinois (like usl) who was also Stamps, research and nearly 4.0 GPA and like similar top mcat like your son. As a reference for others, acceptances from Harvard, Northwestern knots of scbolarship), and Case Western (also lots of scbllarship).

How successful were you sons other premed friends from Univ Miami getting into good med schools ?

Based on your son’s experience, it sounds like saving $80k (to use for med school) going to Miami would make it seem. Frivolous to choose USC which would offer near identical experience with maybe a bit more research oops, and even nicer weather and campus. (I don’t have too much more hair to pull out trying to help with the decision. :slight_smile:

DP you happen to know the premed acceptance percentage I to med schools framing out of Miami undergrad premed?

Typo corrections
Do you happen to know the premed acceptance percentage into med schools coming out of Miami undergrad premed?