Questions from an A-level student

Hi there, I’m a grade 11 student who studying in the A-level system. I am wondering, what kind of grades I need to apply for the Business school in BU. (AAB or something else?) I can’t find anything like this on the official page. Also, I want to ask do we need to use SAT to apply. I really want to get into BU, but it seems that it can’t be applied early. I am sorry to bother you guys, but the last question is, will BU value our IG performance? Because I did not get a good grade on it, and I am really afraid about this. If anyone can help me with these questions, that would be great and I would really appreciate it, thank you guys!

I’m assuming BU is Boston University, correct? And are you international? I’m not familiar with some of the academic nomenclature you are using.

As a starting point, you should check out the Boston University website. They have a section specifically for International students.

As of now, BU is test optional, but that may change for the next application cycle. Again, check their website. It is also a selective admissions school with an admission rate of less than 20%.

Good luck your college journey!

@TomSrOfBoston @MYOS1634

Any thoughts? This sounds like an international student.

@Vicki1

1. Are you an international student?

2. When will you be finished with high school?

3. Do you need financial aid to attend college here?

Boston University has both Early Decision 1 and Early Decision 2. Read this section from their website…please.

It does not sound like BU gives institutional need based aid to international students. Perhaps I’m reading this wrong. @TomSrOfBoston perhaps can clarify.

This is from there:

** International students are not eligible for need-based financial aid from Boston University, the state, or the federal government. All need-based financial aid is available only to U.S. citizens and eligible non-citizens.**

https://www.bu.edu/finaid/apply/international/

International students are eligible for merit aid but not for need based aid. Merit aid maxes at about $30,000/year except for the full tuition Trustee scholarship. It is very competitive.

Unlike many Canadian universities, BU does not publish minimum requirements for admission.

2 Likes

There is no direct conversion between A levels and GPAs, but you are not the first person to apply with A-levels, and the admissions team will be well familiar with them.

How many A levels are you sitting, in what subjects, and what are your predictions? How well do you rank in your year? 75% of admitted BU students are in the top 10%, and 99% are in the top 25%.

I’d be a bit worried if you couldn’t find information on applying early, so is there another element that you are considering? (such as not being able to have necessary information in time to meet the deadlines for early application?)

2 Likes

What country are you from?
What A-level subjects, what predicted results? Any AS result so far (I know they’ve been phased out though).
Why BU?
Please understand that students applying to universities like BU would apply to 8-10 more, especially internationals.
Do your parents have $45-50,000 for each year there (that’s if you get one of the very competitive scholarships)?
I’m not sure what “IG performance” is without context (country, grade…) so can you give details?

I think it refers to IGCSE performance. The IGCSE is a set of examinations written after Grade 10.

From what I understand, predicted A level performance is more heavily weighted than IGCSE/GCSE results, but the latter do count.

1 Like

Yes, IGCSE’s matter to US colleges in that they want to make sure you have a broad general background. A or B (6-9) would be expected in all subjects, more or less, though a 5 in an optional subject would not matter.
And indeed A-levels matter much more.
And even more what you can contribute to the campus community and/or how much your parents can afford.

1 Like

Yep. Sure, thank you!

Yep, I am an international student, I will finish high school in 2024, and I don’t need financial aid. Yeah, I am trying to find more information about BU. Thank u!

Thanks for your reply, I found some information about early admission in the previous days. I am taking economics, accounting, edexcel math for my a-level subset. And I am more understanding of the admission now, really thank you for your reply, hope you have a good day~

I am from China, I am taking economics, accounting and edexcel for my a level subjects. I will have my AS results npby attacking the tests in May. Sure, I will consider all the factors deeply. And the IG performance is my grade 9 performance. Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!

Ok, I get it now. thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!

I get it now, thanks for all your replies. That means so much to me, I truly appreciate that, thank you!

Don’t hesitate to post again for further questions! :+1:

Sure, if I have any questions, I would. Thanks for all your replies.