Questions

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>I’m going to be a senior in high school this year, and I started looking at UA after seeing it on a list of schools with good aid for National Merit Finalists, and I got a 210 on the PSAT and the cutoff in my state (RI) was 211 last year (but thats another story).</p>

<p>Anyways, I’ve been looking at the website and this forum for a bit, and I’m happy to see that I can still get good scholarships without being a NMF. I was just wondering, if you aren’t a NMF, is there enough scholarship money to cover room and board, or is it just tuition. I know about the College of Engineering scholarships that add on to the University scholarships, but is there anything else?</p>

<p>Also, I have been hearing that students can start applying now, is this true? Also, on my SATs I got a 1370 for math and critical reading. Is it possible to take the SAT in October and send the scores then, hoping I can bring that 1370 up those little 30 points at least to get the highest University scholarship?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>i think, for the most part, the NMF scholarship is the only one that will cover room and board. but i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong.</p>

<p>if you get a full tuition scholarship plus the engineering scholarship, i am not sure you can expect much more.</p>

<p>ROTC of course</p>

<p>Welcome!</p>

<p>Also, I have been hearing that students can start applying now, is this true? Also, on my SATs I got a 1370 for math and critical reading. Is it possible to take the SAT in October and send the scores then, hoping I can bring that 1370 up those little 30 points at least to get the highest University scholarship?</p>

<p>YES!!! You can apply now, and as long as you get that higher score before Oct for the ACT …and Nov for the SAT…you will get the scholarship you deserve!!!</p>

<p>Also take the ACT…some do better with that. :)</p>

<p>I’ve been looking at the website and this forum for a bit, and I’m happy to see that I can still get good scholarships without being a NMF. I was just wondering, if you aren’t a NMF, is there enough scholarship money to cover room and board, or is it just tuition. I know about the College of Engineering scholarships that add on to the University scholarships, but is there anything else?</p>

<p>What is your likely major???</p>

<p>The CoE is the only dept that I know of that offers an ASSURED scholarship that will stack on top of the university scholarship. This includes those who major in Computer Science…and there is a comp sci pre med track!!! Just learned that.</p>

<p>I do think that sometimes some “non NMF” students who are selected for UFE or CBH are sometimes given some scholarship money that can be used towards housing …but it’s not assured.</p>

<p>On the other hand…I hope your state’s cut-off drops by at least a point!!! :)</p>

<p>link to the comp sci pre-med info?</p>

<p>^ yes definitely mom2ck, comp sci pre med???</p>

<p>Here it is…</p>

<p><a href=“http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/pdf/ComputerScience_PreMed_PreLaw.pdf[/url]”>http://coeweb.eng.ua.edu/fep/pdf/ComputerScience_PreMed_PreLaw.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks for the quick response! I would be going into the College of Engineering. I will probably be doing Electrical Engineering, and, if possible, double major in Computer Science too. The only thing is that I want to go into the music industry after graduating from college, and the fact that UA doesn’t have a Music Technology/Music Industry major is the only thing that brings it down in my college preferences.</p>

<p>Since you have a 1370 M+CR (single sitting???), then you already have full tuition plus 2500 per year. Did you know that? (as long as your GPA is a 3.5+) And you major in some kind of engineering/comp sci.</p>

<p>*Music Technology/Music Industry major *</p>

<p>Is that something that would be in the School of Music??</p>

<p>Yes, it would be in the School of Music, but its so uncommon a major that not many schools have it. I thought that their Telecommunication and Film major might be similar, but I’m not so sure.</p>

<p>And yes that test was in a single sitting. That was the first time I took it, and I actually ended up doing worse the second time. I’m hoping the third time is the charm though hahaha.</p>

<p>Now that I look back at it, I realize that you’re right. I guess I just misread the portion on the College of Engineering scholarships.</p>

<p>Yes!!!</p>

<p>College of Engineering (including Computer Science)</p>

<p>Students who have a 30-31 ACT or 1330-1390 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive a tuition supplement to bring their University-level scholarship offer up to the value of tuition. In addition, they will receive $2,500 per year for four years.</p>

<p>So, you already have it :)</p>

<p>I think the online app is up today. If not, it will be tomorrow. I did check and it appeared to be up today, but I wasn’t certain.</p>

<p>I’m hoping that someone will do the app this week and tell us if Bama has decided to combine the school app and scholarship app into ONE app. (I hope so!!!)</p>

<p>M2CK - I don’t think the new application is up (or if it is my D didn’t find it). She went to the online application today and it was still the one from last year. I believe Jacob (the new Nicole) said on another thread that it would be up tomorrow. My D will apply as soon as the application is up, so I’ll be able to let you know if the admissions and scholarship applications are combined.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Oh good!!! If it is, can you post a new thread and tell everyone?</p>

<p>I would still suggest taking the SAT again. Raise your score in case you decide not to be an engineering major (of course, then you would not get the additional $2500). Just an option. And if you decide to go for the higher score, take the ACT as well. Some students do better on that test.
Good Luck and Welcome!</p>

<p>RunLax, welcome! Just out of curiosity…are you by any chance a runner and a lacrosse player? ;)</p>

<p>Haha yes I am. Well, I’m a runner, and I used to play lacrosse. I still have all my stuff though, just in case I get the urge to play again, like in college or just for fun.</p>

<p>D applied today and we didn’t see anything about scholarships on the site. So I guess we’ll all have to wait.</p>