Questions

Hi! I will be attending Samford next year and have a few questions.

Is Vail hall a good hall to live in?
Should I bring my car?
What is greek life like?
How are the core classes?
Any other advice?

Thank you.

Congratulations! My son is strongly considering Samford as well. He went on a day visit and loved it. They said cars are fine and there is plenty of parking. (even a covered garage) They also said about 1/2 of the students are in Greek Life and 1/2 are not, but it’s not a divisive thing at all. Go visit if you haven’t yet!

Hi. I attended back in the 90’s so not sure how much help I can be, though I still visit occasionally. I lived in Vail my freshman year, it was where all female freshmen were housed back then, but I believe it has been updated quite a bit since then(no air conditioning at that time).

I would definitely bring your car, you won’t really need it on campus but you will want to go places off campus and I would say that a majority of students probably have a car.

I was not a part of the Greek system but at least 40% of students were at that time. In spite of this, Greek and non-Greek got along very well, often I didn’t even notice which students were involved in the Greek system.

I was in the pilot program for development of a new core curriculum(Cornerstone) so it was still being figured out at that point, but I really enjoyed most of the classes and the different approach.

It was a great school with quality academics, really good professors, and very friendly people. I would suggest that you find your place, get involved, and make the most of your experience.