Quick Question

<p>If one were to go undecided to the UC’S. How hard would it be to transfer to Engineering later on? I know its pretty hard, but has anyone done this? Is it even possible? (For all UC’s)</p>

<p>Can’t answer your question directly. But DD’s school just had a UC presentation last Friday. One of the last few powerpoint slides goes, in big red letters, </p>

<p>"WARNING-
Do not select UNDECLARED or list a major you do not wish to pursue to secure an admission’s offer. "</p>

<p>^Why though? I know plenty people who have done that. Most are really not sure what they want to do and they decide to choose after they try out different classes. </p>

<p>I mean is college not a place to discover yourself? Applying Undecided and developing a passion for a subject makes much more sense then going straight from high school.</p>

<p>Although, I do not know anyone personally that has transferred to Engineering. But I have heard from this site that it can be done. Can anyone confirm that?</p>

<p>My understanding is most of the engineering school and business school in UCs are impacted. They can only take a limit number of students. You have to wait someone to drop out/transfer out to have the space for you. It will be easier If you’re in engieering and wants to transfer to a liberal arts majors, like English, History, since most likely these major are non-impacted. But not the other way around. </p>

<p>True, college is a place to discover yourself. Most of LACs and some private colleges encourage that. But UCs and CSUs just cann’t afford it, esp in the current budget crump.</p>

<p>It’s doable, but it will require you have a very high GPA in your first year to beat everyone else that also want to transfer.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>For arts & sciences, that is incorrect. Check out Cal and UCLA’s web page and they clearly state that intended major has zero impact for L&S.</p>

<p>Now to the OP, transferring into Engineering at Cal is darn near impossible. Ditto UCLA. I’m guessing SD is similar. Heck, transferring from within Engineering at Cal is difficult, such as changing from mechanical eng to EE. Do not attempt to backdoor engineering. It won’t work bcos the transfer slots are reserved for the juco transfers.</p>

<p>^I was at Berkeley this summer taking a class, two sophomore students in my class were majoring in Physics (L&S); they said they were transferring to ME. They said the transfer GPA is like a 3.0 or something. With the Engineering classes, I bet that is still a hard GPA to maintain. But, I am assuming the availability is the only thing that is holding a transfer back at that point? </p>

<p>Also for SD, one my friends applied for Bio Engineering, he was given admission as Undecided and was told he can transfer later, if he gets the grades. </p>

<p>Out of curiosity, what about Davis? I went on their site and it has a College to College Transfer Petition.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s not that hard. You just have to attend a transfer workshop offered by the COE, write an essay, take the major pre-reqs for a semester or a year (depending on the intended major), and maintain a certain GPA (usually 3.3).</p>

<p>I recall from attending the transfer workshop 3 years ago that it’s harder to transfer into EECS, BioE, and MechE. It’s hardly surprising as these are very impacted majors. In any case, these majors require applicants to take a year of pre-reqs and maintain a GPA of 3.3-3.5. Other engineering majors, such as MSE, CE, IEOR, require a year of pre-reqs and a GPA threshold as well.</p>

<p>On the different end of the spectrum, ChemE takes in all major transfers without a “probationary period.” Of course, this is because ChemE is offered by the College of Chemistry, which is unique to Berkeley.</p>

<p>^^Seeing as how many kids earn C’s, D’s and even flunk out of Frosh engineering courses, earning a 3.3 in the prereqs can be extremely difficult. It IS hard to transfer into the College of Eng, IMO.</p>

<p>tastybeef can you expand on Chemical Engineering?</p>