Quick Questions Thread

<p>Ahhh Monteith. I knew two girls in there. The rooms are tinnyyy, so don't bring a ton of random stuff and she'll have to loft. They arn't allowed on the cadet floors, and the cadets arn't allowed on the upper floors unless for social reasons, but they're restricted to their hall, library, academic-places, or cadet events after 7pm, so. Little hall interaction. However, the kids in Montieth all bond really quickly because they're not a big fan of their dorm. Montieth has its perks (it's really not far from everything...I think Lee/AJ are further from classes than Montieth is, especially if you're in engineering), such as being close to Shultz dining hall (yay breakfast!), being close to Torgenson Hall/Newman Library, bus stops are close, the cadets are studios and can be great study buddies, and your closer to downtown. However, the sucky parts about Montieth are two main things a) there's a power plant right next to the upper quad, and if you're on the right side of the building, coal dust will blow in on windy days..not a ton, but its noticeable b) the cadets get up really early on PT days and are loud in the quad, so again, if you're on the right side, it's loud.
The best part about being on the upper quad is that you make friends real fast. She'll enjoy Montieth though :)</p>

<p>On the calender, it says "residence halls close at noon" on the 17th of nov. (1st day of Thanksgiving break). what exactly does this mean? is there no possible way to stay one more night? i wanna say one more night for the football game vs UMiami. am i forced to check into a hotel or something for one night?</p>

<p>Oh goodness, that is going to be an s-storm if it turns out to be a night game. I'm not sure what they'll do but they MAY keep them open an extra day. I've sent a question to the housing director dude, I'll post his response.</p>

<p>They'll keep them open. We had a game right before Spring Break (bball) and they kept open the dorms. And I remember they opened them Friday before the Saturday UVA vs VT game (who the %$@# am I going to root for this year? haha I know that I'm going, so this may be a problem!).<br>
Anyways, hopefully they'll schedule it as a afternoon game and they'll probably kick you out after then. If it's a night game, you'll probably still be able to stay into Saturday, but maybe not Saturday night. Also, I think there's a way that you can apply to stay during thanksgiving break (not everyone can go home), so you may be able to apply to stay till Sunday. But since everyone will want to do this if it's a Sat. night game, they'll probably just keep them open. The housing makes a schedule when the university does, long before the NCAA releases team schedules</p>

<p>The huge problem I see is if they kick us out on Saturday people are going to be driving home after tailgating. Not everyone will, but I'll be surprised if they kick us out and we don't have at least 3 alcohol related wrecks from people on their way back.</p>

<p>Okay, back to the questions....(please?!)</p>

<p>For those who loft, do you you make the underneath part sort of your private cave with the desk under it, or do you put the other bed under it(like an "L" arrangement) and make the rest of the room some sort of desk/study center? What generally works better?</p>

<p>Both ways work, it's just preference. My roommate and I started off with the L arrangment. Her bed was on the floor, mine lofted, and her desk was under the loft next to her bed, and my desk was on the other side, not under the loft. It worked okay (i hated my bed being lofted) and we had agreed to switch beds at the end of the semester. We ended up moving the beds so they were both on the floor (sort of, they had to be jacked up because we put our dressers/fridge/microwave under the beds to save room), But I also know plenty of people who either bunked or made the "cave" scenario.<br>
It just sort of depends on the room size/layout. Most people do the bunk or the cave option because it can "divide" up the room for personal stuff a bit better. Have your D/S talk to their roommate and see their preference, and also think about the room and what will/won't fit.</p>

<p>I did the cave, with beds on one wall and the wall next to it. We put our desks under our beds, and our Microwave/fridge in between the beds. It worked well enough.</p>

<p>back to the calculators... i am looking to get a TI but am not sure which one to get. which one would be of the most use to me both now and for the next 4 years (i will be a freshman in engineering and will be taking chem, physics, linear algebra, and vector geometry this semester). i know you said you can't use the 89 in engineering math classes; but can you use an 83 or 84?</p>

<p>I'm going to be a sophomore in engineering and I've never seen any professor ban just a certain type of calculator. I'd get the 89. Also, there aren't really "engineering math classes," they are just plain math classes, and no, you can't use a calculator in them. You can in engineering though, most of the time.</p>

<p>I'd get the 89. You can't use any calculator, even a 4-function one, in any math class. But you can use it in engineering/physics classes, and the 89 is the best for those. An 83/84 will work, but the 89 is more powerful with more features that will come in handy. Come junior year, you will not want to be doing an integral on a 3-hr homework assignment when your calc can do it in 2 seconds (which the 89 does)</p>

<p>89 is extremely helpful in classes like Electrical Theory where you're converting from polar to rectangular and vice versa. 83's can't do that as easily.</p>

<p>Also someone asked about the WING program a page or two ago, and I was in that freshman year. The class is an easy A if you spend time on each assignment and ask for advice. It was a decent amount of writing if I remember correctly but still an easy class. It was a good experience and I'd recommend it. I was also an RA for Galileo two years ago and heard mostly positive responses about the program from my residents.</p>

<p>Chuy, Shoebox and any others in the know!</p>

<pre><code> We missed carpet order deadline as son had not gotten return call from roommate as of Friday. I went on VT website and it mentioned that carpets (also other items) are available for purchase on move-in days. I guess the sales area is outsite AJ and Pritchard Halls. Son went to refrig. website this evening and the new refrig. for purchase are sold out already. Do you remember last year if you could purchase this items on move-in day? Plan on ordering hutch right now!
</code></pre>

<p>Linens and Things has a 3.9 cu ft fridge on sale now for $99 (after $40 rebate). A .7 cu ft microwave for 30$. My s has gotten to the point of mental overload and said enough! If he needs anything else, he'll just do without until he can pick it up whenever. That was fine with me!</p>

<p>Don't buy the fridge through the school, it's a ripoff. As well as the rug. Instead, look at Lowes/Home Depot/etc for the fridge and get one with a separate freezer compartment (very handy). As for the carpet, I remember when I moved in Lowes had a ton on sale. Or you could check IKEA/BB&B/target now. </p>

<p>One thing about college: try to avoid buying things through the school as much as possible (fridges, books, rugs, supplies, etc). They're always overpriced, whether it be a few bucks or hundreds.</p>

<p>Zimmer- We were all excited with the $99.00 frig. at Linen's and Things. Went to local store yesterday and there was a big sign on door saying the frig. was not available. Friend in CT was told the same thing. She even called down to where son is attending college and there local store said it wasn't available. If you guys got one-you were lucky. Might do the micro though-they had a ton of those instock.
I agree with you too about letting the kids take over some of the shopping. Sometimes you don't miss what you don't have!</p>

<p>Shoebox-Thanks so much for the insight. We also thought micro/frig. was way overpriced. If you rented and split cost between 2 students-it wasn't so tough to take. Think we will take your advice and head to local Lowe's or other stores for carpet once we get to Blacksburg.</p>

<p>There's a Lowe's and Walmart over in Christiansburg so you can buy whatever you forget to bring or just want to not have to take up there. For those not familiar with the area Christiansburg is very close to Blacksburg. There's even a free (for students) bus that runs over there. I don't believe there is any large store like Lowes actually in Bburg (or really many large stores period, yet. It's a major issue right now whether to allow large "big box" stores to build in Bburg or not, but that's a whole seperate issue) but like I said, Christiansburg is close by.</p>

<p>Also a Target over there too.</p>

<p>any1 who knows,</p>

<p>the textbook requirement for engineering exploration Class 1024 is called E-source Virginia tech 2007, by Lohani...is the available only through the school?</p>