Quick Questions Thread

<p>Yeah, it's much easier to transfer out than in.</p>

<p>thanks a lot</p>

<p>I know VT doesn't require/reccomend a teacher rec, but should I send one anyways?</p>

<p>just wondering.. how hard would it be to switch into engineering? math is my best subject so if i major in chemistry or something and do very well could i switch majors into ChemE or some engineering without too much trouble if i then decide thats what i want to do for sure?</p>

<p>its toughhhh. you should just take all the freshman engineering classes like chem, math 1205 or 1206, linear algebra or vector geometry, and all that good stuff and then spring semester you're allowed to take Eng. Exploration which is what engineering kids take fall semester. After passing that you can apply to transfer into engineering. I'm pretty sure that's how its done.</p>

<p>thanks a lot.. one more question- what do you know about vts biochemistry/chemistry/biology departments and the professors and their overall quality. thanks</p>

<p>transferring into engineering is not hard at all. all you have to do is pass math 1205, chem 1356 with lab, engineering exploration with a c, math 1114, and eng 1105. after that, if you get at least a c in the engineering class, your automatically in.</p>

<p>thanks and would i be a semester behind?</p>

<p>
[quote]
transferring into engineering is not hard at all. all you have to do is pass math 1205, chem 1356 with lab, engineering exploration with a c, math 1114, and eng 1105. after that, if you get at least a c in the engineering class, your automatically in.

[/quote]

I'm about 90% sure that's patently false. If your advisor told you this go to another adviser and ask them, the advisers are sketchy at best and absolute morons at most common.</p>

<p>Transferring into engineering is hard and if you do you'll probably be a semester/year behind assuming you don't take summer classes, which you shouldn't be because you should be doing internships.</p>

<p>i'm transferring into engineering right now because i didn't know if it was for me and didn't just apply for it. Word of advice if you're not sure what you wanna do but engineering is a high possibility, just apply engineering if you've got the grades. Like Chuy said, transferring into engineering makes you like a year behind unless you have AP credits covering requirements like chem and english and you take classes a semester early that aren't restricted to engineering majors. The main problem for me was i couldn't get into chem and chem lab first semester. Also the engineering exploration class you can only take spring semester if your not engineering and the seats are limited and it's seated by fall semester GPA. </p>

<p>For me, even with all my ap credits, i will be two class behind but i'll be finishing my physics a semester early so one class behind.. which will require me to take summer school.</p>

<p>Overall transferring sucks but you can do it if you have your heart set to it</p>

<p>Bump to get this visible again.</p>

<p>Does anyone know when VT starts sending out letters for regular applicants?</p>

<p>Bumping for people who are just now getting in. Give the rest of the thread a read too, lots of good info.</p>

<p>Another new admissions bump.</p>

<p>hey i'm trying to transfer into architecture but i know its very hard. if i don't make if for the summer classes, can i still apply for architecture for the upcoming fall semester? and if i don't even make that, what should i do lol. i'm pretty much set on majoring architecture</p>

<p>Hey, so I was admitted as a US student instead of engineering (met all requirements save for taking a physics class) and was planning on transferring in whenever I could. But, I have absolutely no intention of becoming an engineer, I want to major in Computer Science so I'm wondering if I can simply wait until my sophomore year and declare my major in CS avoiding all those classes that would put me behind. Math is not my strongest subject so lagging behind and having to rush through courses is not something I am too keen on and I don't plan on taking the AP AB Calc test so I will be starting with that and other basic math classes.</p>

<p>My son is a CS major - Even though you don't want to become an "engineer", you will still have to take that beginning engineering course, chemistry, and physics, as well as linear algebra and geometry (even if you made a 5 on AP Calc, you still have to take those 2 math courses). As a US student, you should try to take the linear Alg, Geometry, Freshman English, Chem, and if you can't get into the Freshman Engineering course during your first year, then take electives that fulfill one or more of the core requirements. Soph year, take Calc, Physics, the engineering course (if possible - you may have to take this during the summer, ask your advisor), and the beginning CS courses.</p>

<p>Bump, but with a blurb to justify it.</p>

<p>If you’ve got a half hour or so free on weeknights or weekend nights there’s a theater (mostly shows movies, but has some live shows) in Blacksburg called The Lyric which could use your help volunteering. It’s a community theater and the people who staff the box office and concession stand are all unpaid volunteers. Basically all you have to do is show up a half hour before the movie starts, pour drinks/popcorn for people at the concession stand, and then you’re done. You finish up just as the movie starts so you can get a free popcorn and watch the movie for free if it’s something you want to see. It isn’t a huge time commitment (a half hour/45 minutes a week and the manager will love you) and helping out helps keep a really cool place open, and while there aren’t a lot of college students who volunteer there regularly there are a lot of nice, interesting people.</p>

<p>And if you don’t want to volunteer, The Lyric is probably the #1 cheap date spot for a freshman to take a girl. Tickets are between $4 and $5, it’s usually not crowded, and it’s within exceptionally easy walking distance from campus. It’s not quite as nice as the newer theaters like in Christiansburg and it doesn’t usually show first releases, but the upside is you don’t have to navigate your way into Christiansburg and pay over twice as much.</p>

<p>Sorry if this sounded like an ad, but The Lyric is a really cool, sometimes overlooked place in Blacksburg and a real service to the community and students. I know hardly anyone here is in Blacksburg right now (other than me) but try to keep it in mind when you do head there in the fall.</p>

<p>I attended Virginia Tech as well and will be a sophmore as well in the Fall. I agree about the Lyric. I attended a show there 2-3 times last semester and while it may not be a name brand theatre it still is a great place. It has that old school feeling and is in the heart of downtown. One good tip for everyone coming to visit is check out downtown don’t just go around campus. Part of the college experience is getting off campus and Blacksburg has a great atmosphere. </p>

<p>Congrats all those who are getting in!</p>

<p>I also will be able to answer any question you have, I am a Communication Major and was a part of the RLC (Residential Leadership Community) dorms. (Don’t mean to take over your thread chuy)</p>

<p>By all means feel free. I just have my experiences at VT to draw from, the more in the thread the better. I agree about downtown. I walk from my apartment to downtown just to walk around a couple times a week because A) I’m easily amused and B) there is actually a good bit going on. Even during the summer there are a good number of people down there, especially Wed-Saturday nights.</p>