"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 12

Of course. I just took a simplistic view since I am a simple fellow. :wink: My point was that Harvard is loaded. They don’t really need a million or ten from selling admission seats to unqualified privileged kids.

@jzducol

I would dearly love to hear Harvard’s justification for this decision. I would love to have been a fly on the wall at the admissions committee meeting for these two! Its these kinds of cases that prompt people to call it a lottery.

Probably Harvard just considered Nathan Chen and James Lin as “standard strong” since the bar for Asian-American kids are so much higher than other ethnic groups. :smiley:

Good Lord, i wish everybody would quit assuming AA students are not worthy and less than. My AA student went to a tippy top school and friends at first assumed she was admitted just because. They later found out that was NOT true. I BLAME YOU PARENTS FOR LETTING YOUR KIDS THINK THAT RACE EQUALS INTELLIGENCE. AA kids are not taking your kids supposed spots at top schools, they are taking their deserved spots.

Uhh… I don’t think anyone is saying that.

@CottonTales I don’t think most people here are saying that at all. I am certainly not telling my own kids anything like that. The most recent posts have stated quite clearly that the URM’s are well qualified to be at these elite universities. I’m not sure where you are getting the idea that we are saying something different.

@CottonTales I also think maybe some posts weren’t clear to you but the most recent posters are saying exactly what you are saying…that, to quote you “AA students” are worthy of their spots and accepted because the understanding is that they have what it takes to succeed.

@CottonTales, Some people really clearly implied what you said, and I am very sorry. I was also very upset to hear that. However, they were only a few even among those against AA, and certainly not everyone.

But can you still put it on lay-away like Kushner did? :smiley:

Wait… AA student meaning African-American? Or Affirmative Action? It’s not Asian-American though, right?

You are the exact parent that raised their children to think my D was less than. BTW, she graduated #1 in her med school. Hope she doesn’t have to operate on you soon. Cuz you know, she is less than.

If I were a top AA student like CottonTales’ daughter, I’d be angriest at schools like Harvard that created that mess through their actions. Nobody thinks a Stuyvesant grad or a CalTech grad is anything less than brilliant no matter what his/her skin color, because those schools have always only been merit based. When schools like Harvard started using such an aggressive affirmative action program where they were admitting a large group of URM students with SAT scores 200-300 points below the majority of other students, of course it’s going to be obvious to the other students what’s happening and of course it’s going to make them question whether a student was qualified to be there or was just there to get to a certain % URM. The people most hurt by this is the top performing, highly qualified URMs who will always be fighting the perception that they were just admitted for the sake of diversity rather than their real skills.

I don’t know who you were directing your comment to but Justice Clarence Thomas’s argument against affirmative action is exactly what you are saying about your daughter - that even though he graduated from Yale Law School, he had a hard time finding a job afterwards because everyone thought he got into Yale not by his own merit but because of affirmative action. He thinks affirmative action hurts the qualified African-American students through misperception it confers on them.

To say what @milee30 said in a different way, discrimination is wrong because it doesn’t look at people as individuals, but rather stereotypes them into groups.

It is absolutely wrong when people are assuming your daughter is less capable because she is Black. It is equally wrong for the college to assume she could not have been admitted on her own merits, and instead paints all URMs as needing an admission bump in order to be admitted. Finally, it is wrong to hold other groups to higher standards, or to paint them as having less attractive personality characteristics because of the racial group they are from.

All this would go away if we looked at applicants based upon individual merit, with an adjustment for their socio-economic background, rather than as representatives of a group.

This is what I find ironic, even hypocritical, about the admission process at the elite colleges. All the advice I’ve seen about application process says to show that you are an individual, tell your unique story, etc. But once the application goes in, you are lumped into a stereotype group and gets judged on stereotypical assumptions about your particular ethnic group by the people who have never met you (who also overrides the judgement of people who have actually met you).

MODERATOR’S note: Knock off the bickering. I had to delete quite a few posts.

Breaking news this morning:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-opens-probe-into-whether-yale-university-discriminates-against-asian-americans-1537980075?mod=breakingnews

All the elite universities and colleges cap Asian-American percentage to around or below 20%. I wonder why DOJ choose to go after them one by one instead of grouping them together and do it in one shot.

@Ap0state I was thinking the same thing…does there have to be an actual complaint filed? A boy from my neighborhood goes there and he is Asian.

I’m not sure. I’ve been doing a lot of catching up on SFFA lawsuit and apparently SFFA did solicit for actual cases and got at least three students who were willing to participate.

SFFA is also supported by 160 Asian-American groups which we don’t hear about too often. I can see why the media is considered to have a liberal agenda. The media is quick to report on Asian-American groups that support Harvard but rarely the other way around or even omit the mention of Asian-American groups supporting SFFA entirely.