"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 13

I agree that Harvard hasn’t done as well as it should have in creating a truly diverse educational environment, but the proposed solution is much more damaging in this regard. The situation you mention is all the more reason why it is important for Harvard to be able to have and consider a complete picture of each individual who applies to Harvard, including race, SES, ethnicity, academic opportunity, etc.

If Harvard can no longer directly consider all these factors, the inequities you highlight will become more pronounced, and multigenerational African-Americans who have have been most impacted by discrimination will further segregated out of higher education.

Again, why should Harvard be forced to ignore relevant data in making their admission decisions?

1 Like

There is still generational poverty, so if AA was meant to remedy that, it hasn’t – at least, not nearly entirely.

AA most likely has done the most good for those who persevere(d) in education and/or vocationally – but if you don’t try, no program can really help. A snowball needs a push before Frosty can be assembled.

The thread is consuming too much moderator time. To allow users the opportunity to go back and read the thread in more depth, including moderator notes and links to Terms of Service, I am temporarily closing.

After discussion with the admin, this thread will remain closed and discussion of Affirmative Action will no longer be allowed on the main forums.

In its place, I have opened a new thread on the Politics Forum. Feel free to join the conversation there.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/race-in-college-applications-faq-discussion-14/3627043

If you are not currently a member of the politics forum, see below for instructions on how to join.

7 Likes