"Race" in College Applications FAQ & Discussion 13

They should make their support conditional on outcomes that matter to them. They don’t. Let alone run for politics.

Some might. My younger kid getting into Stanford one day…yeah, that’s an “outcome” that matters to me, but isn’t in my top 500 reasons to cast a vote for someone.

3 Likes

Different people have different priorities. Clearly it is important to the people that are asking for affirmative action. Some people ask for things. Some people don’t. Unless you ask you won’t get anything.

1 Like

“The question is, if you don’t give a boost to URM, then are you effectively actually rigging the system against URM – especially lower class URM.”

This statement is the problem, it perceives all URM as disadvantaged (which is racist by itself). Many are, some are not. The basis for admittance should include socio economic condition (which schools legally can), basing on race alone is a red herring and makes it look like one race needs more help than another. Only those coming from poor socio economic conditions should see a boost, and by extension that will include more URMs as they are over represented in those conditions.

3 Likes

You just proved the need for diversity – European Jews were but a small minority. But putting that aside, through history, the greatest advancements in physics were made of people of all races and creeds. Heck, go back 1000 years, Middle Eastern Arabs were much more advanced in physics than Europeans.
Go back even further, the pyramids required extremely advanced physics that Europeans were incapable of.

I’m sorry, but any suggestion that diversity isn’t beneficial is simply wrong.

5 Likes

Ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, gender diversity is always good on the community level, (and a college/university is a community).

Full stop.

4 Likes

What you’re saying is not irrational. Except, URMs often have roadblocks beyond economic class. The degree roadblocks are related to economic class versus solely due to their race is very hard to quantify.
I certainly agree evaluation based on socioeconomic status is less troublesome from a constitutional standpoint.

6 Likes

The point isn’t about which race is/was more capable in physics. Whether they were European Jews or Middle Eastern Arabs, they didn’t benefit from racial diversity in their respective periods, did they?

Political?

Countries that they lived in benefited. The US being less anti-Jewish than Germany in the 1930s-1940s meant that European Jewish physicists preferred to be in the US rather than Germany (or places that could get invaded by Germany) in that time, bringing the benefits of their work to the US.

That’s another matter. The primary reason the US is what it is today in sciences and technologies is because we attracted some of the most talented people from abroad, based on merits, not some racial quotas. Without them, we’ll lose our advantages (ironically to countries that are much less diversified racially than us).

2 Likes

Please limit comments to the thread title: race and admissions. If someone wants to expand the scope, they can start a thread in the politics forum. Off-topic posts on this thread are subject to deletion without notice.

3 Likes

Totally agree. We’re trying to fix the problem of inequality (and academic underachievement) at the wrong stage of the academic journey. If the US is serious about rectifying past wrongs, we must start much earlier than college admission.

I also see a lot of hypocrisy among us - many of us say we support greater equality but we hoard the resources to help achieve it, including by maintaining the current mechanisms of funding schools through local property taxes (with concerning instances of gerrymandering to boot!) and unwillingness to allow “affordable” housing to be built in wealthy areas (see this NYT documentary).

19 Likes

I agree that investing in early education is the best route.

Also, agree that school funding needs to be fixed. I’ll add that I think that students should be able to attend any school they choose.

I don’t agree on policies that require “affordable” housing to be placed that do not match the neighborhood. I know I’ll hear about NIMBY and more, but a home is usually a families largest investment, it matters where it is located. High density housing, transition housing, group homes impact value neighborhoods.

1 Like

“SAT W: -0.15 fist gen, -0.13 ALANA
SAT (M+V): -0.13 ALANA, -0.08 fist gen
Number of AP Credits: -0.12 ALANA, -0.03 first gen
HS GPA: -0.08 ALANA, +0.01 first gen
Rigor of HS Courses: -0.04 ALANA, +0.05 first gen”

With SATs out now, AP credits and rigor would favor students from private high schools or public ones in wealthier districts.

"unwillingness to allow “affordable” housing to be built in wealthy areas "

Agree, the wealthier suburbs in CA are fighting hard not to comply with CA housing laws where every city or town has you to build more housing over the next 5 or so years and a certain percentage has to be affordable by lower-income families.

Although parent money affects how easily the kid can get to a desired school that is not close to home. This is not all that different conceptually from a college student being limited to commuting to a nearby college because going to a residential college is too expensive, although the distances are scaled up.

Yes, some places are where property values seem to be the only values when it come to opposition to any additional housing in the area.

Making K-12 better is an ideal goal, but difficult (see above) and mostly out of the control of colleges that face marketing and political pressures regarding the diversity (particularly visible aspects like race/ethnicity) of their students. Colleges presumably know that lack of visible diversity can harm their marketing efforts and that actions aimed directly to increase that are unpopular, so there is no way to satisfy both pressures at the same time.

The point was the stats you quoted suggest that SAT scores are more correlated with income than any of the other listed metrics, including both AP credits and rigor. They removed a metric that is more correlated with income and replaced it with a combination of metrics that are less correlated with income. The correlation can be >0 while still being less than occurs with test scores.

1 Like

Deleted several posts on problem solving. Back to topic please.

From The Economist:

American society is so focused on race that it is blind to class | The Economist

12 Likes