Racial Issues

<p>I was wondering is it bad to be part of the dominant minority at colleges? like, i’m chinese but without the crazy gpa and test scores. I know that the race and name part is cut out from the evaluator but how about my personal statement? I wrote some of it and talked about how my life wasn’t that great and how i tried to help mentor some extremely poor kids living in chinatown ( kinda tell ppl i’m asian) that have like 8 by 10 rooms that whole families live in. I was wondering if it will hurt my chances being admit because of the whole asian stereotype thing. It quite funny since i took this asian american studies class and Asian in general are actually mostly poor and the wealth within the asian race is extremely uneven. A lot of Asian in northern california are extremely rich, but in general Asians are poorer than blacks and have a lower disposable income. It jsut shocked me…umm yea i’m getting off subject but if u want to learn more…<a href=“http://modelminority.com/article72.html[/url]”>http://modelminority.com/article72.html</a></p>

<p>Affirmative Action has been outlawed in California. Technically they can't admit/reject you based on your race though I'm sure they find ways to do it. (UCLA found itself a NICE loophole with the "holistic" approach). </p>

<p>As for the low-income thing... If you're a low-income student, you're a low-income student. </p>

<p>Being Chinese shouldn't hurt you THAT MUCH at the UC's as it would elsewhere... I'm asian and I got accepted to every UC I applied to and I did not have the crazy GPAs and test scores so I wouldn't worry about it too much.</p>

<p>BLAH BLAH BLAH^</p>

<p>In THEORY affirmative action outlaws decisions based on race. In practice, however its just a load of crap. REAL TALK.</p>

<p>Source?
Okay I have two friends of different race, one is chinese and the other is caucasian. They both applied with a 3.33 GPA, same classes, extra curricular, and volunteer hours (they were best friends). My chinese friend got a 1650 on the SAT while my caucasian friend got a 1600 (close is it not?). On the SAT 2, they were +/- 50 in Math 2 and Chemistry. </p>

<p>So they both applied to the same schools UCSC, UCD, UCSD, UCI, and UCB.
Both: UCSC, UCD
Chinese friend: UCI
Caucasian friend: UCSD
Rejected: UCB</p>

<p>You can make a case and say it was because of their personal statments, BUT they wrote their statements together with the same topics.</p>

<p>chemical_relapse,</p>

<p>UCLA didn't find the "loophole." Berkeley did. UCLA followed suit after the 2004 and 2005 admissions showed declining black and Latino matriculation rates.</p>

<p>alluong,</p>

<p>Actually, in "theory" AA legalizes and formalizes admission based on race. Prop 209 actually is what outlawed race-based admissions. </p>

<p>As far as your example goes, it's statistically meaningless. You have to look at a larger sample to derive meaning.</p>

<p>The experience/result of two students is not enough to reach such conclusion Alluong.</p>

<p>One extreme case has to be UCI, if it does practice AA, then why is the student population roughly 50% Asian AND accepted your Chinese friend? UC Berkeley isn't far behind either, with 40% of the student population being Asian.</p>

<p>UCSD is 50% asian.</p>

<p>Being Chinese doesn't hurt you because UC's do not use your ethnicity into their admissions consideration.... instead....</p>

<p>On the UC application, they will ask what is your parent's highest education? Parental income? Are you the first in your family to attend college? Do your parents have a college degree? If no, then you have as good of a chance as any underrepresented minority would have. Try to incorporate this difficulty into your essay and how you cope with being the first in your family to attend college. </p>

<p>UC's will take these numerous family "factors" into consideration as oppose to just looking/generalizing at your race.</p>