Racism at Penn

<p>I recently visited UPenn and while I thought it was nice, it wasn't my favorite (maybe because we were late and got lost and it was raining). On my way to the information session, I picked up a copy of the Daily Pennsylvanian that I didn't get a chance to read until much later. In it I found this: "Racism taints the University" (the whole article can be found at theDP.com/opinion , its a guest column by Christopher Abreu, I can't access it on my computer, otherwise I would provide a link)</p>

<p>Originally, the piece greatly discouraged be from even applying to Penn, until today. I did a bit of research today and actually went on the site and found this:
Your</a> Voice | Responses to racism at Penn | The Daily Pennsylvanian
and this:
Smart</a> Alec | It?s bigger than racism | The Daily Pennsylvanian
Reading these have encouraged me to consider UPenn once again, because it would be a privilege to be surrounded by such supportive (not all have been supportive, but the majority have been) and intelligent community.</p>

<p>What are your opinions?</p>

<p>[Racism</a> concern may affect admissions yield | The Daily Pennsylvanian](<a href=“http://thedp.com/article/racism-concern-may-affect-admissions-yield]Racism”>http://thedp.com/article/racism-concern-may-affect-admissions-yield)</p>

<p>I just found the above article. Furda says that “the Admissions Office ‘will work even harder to build on the success of admitting the most diverse class in Penn’s history,’” but won’t that just encourage more accusations of Affirmative Action, as thats essentially what he’s saying? More AA?</p>

<p>yeah…I visited to and saw the same article and read more about the surrounding events later that day online. I read that there was a protest, a moment of silence, of 200 (out of a campus with about 10000 people). </p>

<p>Though I thought it was quite odd that a group of students(not minorities) were playing drums in the same area where the protest was held just days before…might not mean anything, but then again I know better. lol</p>

<p>Donald Trump and his family went there…and we have an idea of what he thinks about “the blacks”.</p>

<p>I’m sure they will accept more in anticipation of a lower yield. We might have a better chance at being admitted, but I doubt that we will be too welcome. But you have to realize that in pretty much every campus that holds true.</p>

<p>Actually, that does not hold true on “pretty much every campus.” </p>

<p>And it doesn’t hold true at Penn either.</p>

<p>^sorry but at 90% of colleges if not in highschool, black students will experience some form of racism. I’m not saying that to dismiss it, to pretend like it doesn’t happen is to dismiss it. How can you deny Abreu’s experience or the experience of others as listed on a new website dedicated to discussing experiences with racism SPECIFICALLY AT PENN. Who are you to say that racism isn’t a problem there? Being away from home and living independently is daunting enough, experiencing a racially hostile environment just adds to a student’s troubles, and can make the campus feel unwelcome.</p>

<p>Exactly. A zero tolerance policy should be instituted.</p>