Random Questions

If I’m making iced tea, can I pour the hot water from the kettle directly into a (somewhat heavy duty) glass pitcher without worrying about it cracking? Or am i just a worrywart…Or is there another way?

Don’t do it. I cracked a beautiful Baccarat pitcher that our office friends gave DH and me when we married. Better safe than sorry.

This is how we make iced tea where I’m from: boil tea bags and water in a pot with a lid and then let it steep a while till it is really strong. Take out the bags, let the pot cool down, put it in the refrigerator overnight and then add cold water to it the next day till you get to your desired strength of tea. Alternatively, add ice cubes to the very strong boiled tea to cool it down quickly.

Do not pour anything hot in a glass or crystal pitcher.

I have no idea what will happen but my mother, aunts, grandmothers, etc. warned me to never ever do it. :slight_smile:

I pour boiling water for tea all the time into a Pyrex 4-cup glass pitcher. I let it steep for a while and then dilute it.

^^I boil water/oatmeal every morning in the microwave in a large pyrex measuring cup. I think the only pyrex I own is measuring cups.

eta; I’m guessing my shallow baking dishes I use in the over are pyrex.

Big difference between glass/crystal and Pyrex/Corning of course. Corning first developed Pyrex for laboratory use.

I can’t believe what I am reading in this thread. I admit I have only read 12 pages.

This is a thread about nothing. Lol

I am going to tell everybody here a secret. When I wear long pants and white socks, sometimes my white socks don’t match. :slight_smile:

It’s the Seinfeld of CC threads.

Without the humor. :slight_smile:

That’s your job, @dstark now that you’re here. :slight_smile:

If you try to cool tea down too quickly. it can get strangely cloudy so I don’t recommend pouring very hot tea over ice (this has only happened to me twice, but it is a thing!) I make sun tea (five bags in a large (1 gal?) glass jar leave it in the sun for an hour or two, remove bags, refrigerate.)

@dstark - try the pet peeve thread. Pet peeves are inherently funny somehow!

I chuckle (a lot) reading the “most annoying” thread.

And no, glass or crystal won’t take a rapid change in temp. Pyrex is more flexible.

Agreed @greenwitch - @dstark this a thread to ask questions that don’t need a whole thread devoted to them. This is where that banking question should have been posted. It deserved 2-3 responses, not 10 pages!!

I make iced tea by putting the tea bags in the cold water and leaving it all in the refrigerator overnight. Comes out fine.

Regarding chicken breasts, my advice would be to buy whole boneless/skinless and pound them a bit to flatten and tenderize, rather than buying sliced.

I absolutely hate pounding chicken breasts but I would do that too. I have to trim away this funny piece of gristly stuff that every chicken breast manufacturer leaves in, tenders or no tenders, so it makes sense to trim it from the larger piece and then slice away.

I cook those little nasty trimmings up for my dog Luigi and he loves them!

I accumulate those bits in plastic sandwich bags in the freezer, and use them when I make stock–although the do get used for dog food every once in a while, too. :slight_smile:

Yeah, like others have said, don’t do it. I’ve cracked a few glass pitchers this way by being impatient. I now have a 4 cup pyrex measuring cup that I use to slake my impatience for sweet tea. Eventually it goes into something pretty that goes in the fridge, but at least it can steep in the pyrex.

Yikes. I did not see this… Your pitcher most likely will crack, and the result could be dangerous! You need special glass that can withstand rapid changes in temperature. Erlenmeyer flasks work great for this purpose, especially in academic lab settings. :wink: Sucrose from Sigma is good for making sweetened ice tea, as my former lab mates would swear.