Random Questions

Am I the only person that has this problem? Since covid era started, I have been online ordering and shipping from Walmart. Randomly they decide to deliver from a local store instead of shipping. I called them the first time this happened and they said that Walmart does this sometimes (probably to promote their delivery to your home program). Every time it is inconvenient like the door bell ringing at 8 PM in the dark by a random door dash-like person.

I had started only ordering food that did not state pickup available but I even get them at my door when it says not available in stores. I cannot find a thing on their site to stop the door dash issue.

Some people would not see this as an issue. Every order I have had at my door was wrong, usually in their error (3 instead of 2, wild tuna instead of tuna, random cake mix, etc). One time they drove out in our rural area to deliver a chip bag. OK done complaining. Any ideas?

1 Like

Yes! Suddenly, things that show up as available for pickup are in my shipping cart instead of shopping cart when I check out. It’s annoying, but sometimes I let them ship (instead of removing from cart) because like you, I’ve also stopped going to the store (aside from Covid risk…it’s just nice to have groceries without leaving the home and car!) I do not like all the extra boxes associated with the shipping, so feel a bit guilty about the environmental impact.

1 Like

Ok reading your post again I think my problem is actually the opposite of yours…I want it at my pick up order, and you want it shipped but not “delivered”. Sorry!

1 Like

That is correct. Now I will not be surprised if that happens at my curbside orders.

No, you’re not alone. We’ve been getting random deliveries from a local Walmart store instead of the items being shipped also. It’s usually just part of an order and there’s no advance notice. It’s often been late at night.

The drivers sometimes take a photo of their “delivery” that may not even show the bag. One time, the picture was of a neighbor’s mailbox. Another time it was the interior of a car door. Sometimes they leave an item without any bag, such as a package of paper towels or toilet paper. At least when they’ve delivered to the wrong house, Walmart has either given a refund or shipped a replacement without any extra hassle.

I was told there’s no way to stop Walmart’s door dash deliveries. Whenever we start traveling again, I won’t order from them. When we had to go back and forth between houses, I ordered expecting the package to arrive a day or two after we returned. Instead, part of the order was delivered right after we left and sat on the porch for several days. There was nothing of great value (like your bag of chips), but I hate advertising that we’re away.

I order more often from Target these days, but they don’t always have the household supplies we need. We still do curbside pickup for groceries but never know what we’ll actually get until H picks up, which is why I continue to place orders for shipping.

1 Like

Well this is comforting in a way I now know it is happening elsewhere and I’m not missing any solution. I really thought I found a loophole when ordering shipping on an item that I only order if it offers shipping only. I really got ‘lazy’ and ordered things that were also offered to home delivery and pickup and that is when I got the door dash people.

Computer illiterates among the middle aged: common or am I “lucky” to encounter so many?

I continue to have to deal with people who fail to read emails, even when working on a time sensitive project. Some may scan an email but never click on the links to materials needed or instructions for installation. Then they call, irate about issues that have already been addressed. That happened with a subcontractor again this morning.

All but one of the people I’ve dealt with who “don’t do” email have been at least 10 to 15 years younger than I, so they should have had some exposure to computers in school. Some of them, both home builders and executives, have someone (wife or administrative assistant) print their emails for them to read, then they dictate replies for that person to send. :roll_eyes:

Have you run into this problem? Is it peculiar to the home building industry and middle aged/older executives? Is it more common in the south (sorry for stereotyping, but that’s where we live)?

Have you been successful in encouraging someone to communicate via email rather than in person, especially over the last two years? If so, please share some advice. TIA.

Wow. That is weird. PNW here; all contractors managed just fine with digital means of communication. Even the older contractor who provided handwritten bids communicated by email and texts just fine. He did a fine job for us.

2 Likes

I know a LOT of people who don’t do email or have anything to do with computers. My older sis is one but I know people my age who don’t do email. Or rather do it sporadically–emails sit forever unread but a text will be quickly responded to. It’s come down to a text sometimes that says–I’m sending X by email so open it up!

3 Likes

This. We have a retired professor friend who says email is on its way out. Certainly it is for my kids! They hardly ever open their emails.

4 Likes

I usually get better responses to texts than emails and age doesn’t matter. With kids at school we often had to remind them to check their email.

Age can matter for those who don’t do computers at all, but that tends to be more like my 93 year old FIL. He refuses - won’t even use a smart phone. I know other retirees who do use them though. I just don’t know anyone younger than retirement age who doesn’t.

1 Like

The tech thing that gets me is that for some reason, at least in our state, you can send a fax as a legitimate government document, but not an attached PDF! Seems like the technology changed but our state government has not. Weird.

1 Like

I will sometimes text people to tell them I just sent them an important email.

9 Likes

I told H that if we ever build again, I have to get assurances that the contractors all use email and texts and know how to follow a hyperlink to see my preferred door hardware or impact rated windows. Maybe I should suggest the PNW? :smiley:

1 Like

We’ve run into that, too. A few times I had to go to the local UPS franchise store to send a fax. :roll_eyes:

We bought a multifunction machine and still have a landline so we can send faxes.

3 Likes

My printer’s software (HP) allows me to fax scanned images. It’s come in handy for those instances where the recipient is still in the dark ages.

1 Like

@JustaMom5465 — do you need a phone line to make faxes? How does the software handle that? Someday we may eliminate our phone line.

Nope - it’s sent to a fax number via my wifi. So I go into the software, type in the phone number, fill out the cover sheet info if I want one, attach the doc (usually a scan) and hit send.

I’ve never had to pay for it, I have an HP account associated with my HP Envy printer

https://www.hpsmart.com/us/en/mobile-fax

1 Like

There are services that give you a fax number, you basically email your document and the service sends it as a fax from that number. You can receive faxes at that number, and they get emailed to you.

DW had this for many years, but now no one uses fax actually more. Except maybe the govt, lol.