Random Questions

So sad, notelling. I have known classmates who died of anorexia. And those willing to get treatment can be very difficult to treat. I recall a colleague commenting that they have to check clients pockets and sometimes undergarments as they hid weights or rocks on weigh in.

My random question:
Is it typical to have a 90 day wait period before becoming eligible for company healthcare benefits when starting a new job (new college graduate)?

^I believe it is. At least it was true for my S when he started his accounting job last summer. I am currently interviewing and a number of the companies I am interested in have that same policy. At a few others the waiting period is 30 days.

For my D2, her benefits started as soon as she was a regular employee. She was an intern for about 6 weeks beforehand though. D1 had benefits start right away but she works in a hospital.

Too bad there’s a waiting period, that could be dangerous.

It’s by no means unusual. If it doesn’t work out right away, the company doesn’t want to be responsible for your COBRA.

S was eligible the day he started his training. He chose to stay with our family medical plan until aging out at age 26–that was a qualifying Event and he got his own plan.

S2 was eligible on the 1st of the month following the month he started, but 90 day waits are not uncommon among employers.

Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea that this was common. At least my D can continue on our insurance during the wait period.

My typically healthy S learned how risky it could be to go without insurance for even a brief period of time. While he was immediately eligible for and enrolled in the company’s healthcare upon starting his first post grad job, he required surgery for appendicitis within the first 30 days of employment. He was fortunate to have had very good medical coverage!

One other issue with having ANY gaps in coverage used to be that it made it hard to get medical insurance. It always has been easier to get medical coverage if you’ve NEVER had any gaps. I’m not sure how ACA has changed this, but I err on the side of NEVER having insurance coverage gaps–medical, auto, or liability. It helps me sleep better at night. I don’t care if I am paying it, I always want H, me, and our kids fully covered.

You get a proof of coverage up through when the last plan ended and have 90 days. But some kids can remain on the parents’ policy in the interim.

When D1 switched jobs , there was a gap, when her start date was pushed back. We got her her own policy for that one month, think it was direct via bcbs.

We only had 30 days after our kids turned 26 for them to get new coverage or have a lapse/gap, so be sure to check with YOUR policy. I’m always nervous about any gaps or lapses–life is unpredictable and medical care is expensive!

Tonsilloliths - discuss.

Giant tonsil shaped rocks?

If you microwave instant rice, do you go back in time?

@Madison85 even though you didn’t ask a question, the answer to anything, (even when spelled wrong), can be found on cc http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/521952-tonsiloliths-p1.html

O.M.G.

That’s pretty gross. Glad I had them nasty ol’ tonsils removed long ago.

I did see that thread, but it was closed.

Tonsilloliths - discuss?

Guys- might these last few, seemingly rhetorical"questions" be better suited for the “why us this a thread” thread?
I have a question-- how early are people getting to airports these days? I got to the airport 3 hrs early last week and am heading out today. Last flight I did not have TSA precheck but fortunately do today. I was in the security line for over a half hour last week, which , reading the news, seems tame.

I’m wondering the same thing. Will be using Philly and Atlanta airports in the next week. Please share your experience.