Random Questions

Well that worked for the first time ever for me. Wonder if something has been updated. Thanks for getting me to try again.

2 Likes

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one to have problems–it makes me feel like less of an idiot!

There are certain times/devices where I cannot get them to work - I think they must be at times testy!

1 Like

Agreed. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Like today it did not (not this thread).

To people who have traveled to NYC and stayed in hotels:

We have a trip coming up soon and I have been in contact with the hotel concierge. This individual has made us many dinner reservations, helped find tickets to a show that was a hard ticket to find, gave suggestions for comedy clubs, excursions, tipped us off to the fact that we can buy a ticket for early admittance to the 9/11 museum, etc. I probably could have done all that myself, but I was really pressed for time doing other things, waited too long, then began to panic when all my target restaurants were “already booked.” I finally emailed him with an SOS and he has been very helpful.

What is the standard tip you give when you have worked with a concierge over many emails and phone calls?

I don’t know what’s standard but this sounds like a fancier hotel, so I think $100 would be appropriate given the high level of service he’s provided. And an additional tip when you’re checking out if he’s continued to give you attention and service.

1 Like

How much to tip at New York hotels: the ultimate guide - Curbed NY.

1 Like

I think of concierge as being part of the value add for a high end hotel. When we used the services in Kyoto we did not think about tipping (though in Japan not much tipping for anything). It’s helpful to have the above link
Concierge: $5-10 depending on how involved the service, or lump sum upon departure.

3 Likes

When I tried to tip a concierge in one hotel in Hawaii, she refused to take the $$. It was a very awkward moment. Maybe NYC is a different story. OTOH, I have never seen a valet or bellhop refuse a few dollar bills. A tip about tips: in Vancouver BC valets and bellhops gladly accept USD. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Woah—huge difference between $5-10 and $100! I’ve never tipped $100 to any concierge but they never got me tickets or anything special.

$100 because the concierge seems to have done a lot - “made us many dinner reservations, helped find tickets to a show that was a hard ticket to find, gave suggestions for comedy clubs, excursions, tipped us off to the fact that we can buy a ticket for early admittance to the 9/11 museum, etc”. If this is a higher end hotel, $100 isn’t atypical for this level of service. If it feels like too much, then maybe less but I’d say at least $50.

$5-10 may be ok for smaller one-off requests, not for help with a whole range of requests.
(Also note the article is 5 years old and inflation has impacted everything including tips :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

That’s about what I was thinking. Thanks.

2 Likes

$50 sounds like a nice compromise to me, especially as she performed services that are not generally offered to many others.

1 Like

Has anyone watched Inventing Anna? She tipped with $100 bills for just about anything. Of course she was a total fraud, but it was fun to watch.

We watched Inventing Anna, but we liked her much better in Ozark.
Yes - she was definitely throwing money around.

1 Like

I would give him $50 or more

I have an AOL email account. Yes, I’m behind the times; let’s move on.

Everyday I get a lot of spam delivered to my spam folder. I’m delighted it’s identified and that it goes to that folder. Question: Does it matter if I delete it from my spam folder or leave it there for all eternity (or some time period in between)?

Look it over to make sure nothing important accidentally landed in the spam folder and then delete it.

1 Like

Follow up question: If a spam message winds up in my regular mail, I have the option of marking it spam and it gets sent to my spam folder. Is there any reason to do that instead of just deleting it?

I do that often, as I’m under the impression that that IP address gets blocked from then on.

1 Like