Random Questions

I have several Oofos…indoor (1thong for warm weather, 1 slide for winter, to wear with thick socks) and an outdoor pair that I also take on vacation.

1 Like

There is some temporary formatting going on…Jon mentioned it several posts above I think!

1 Like
1 Like

Thank you, I have ordered some OOFOS on sale for my upcoming trip to Europe. Maybe between the shoes and ibuprofen and voltaren gel, my hip won’t hurt so much. I’ll let you know.

3 Likes

I bought some SB sox Make a huge difference especially when walking on hard wood floors. They come in all sorts of styles. Mine are like sport socks with no toes. Compresses around foot bed and arch. They make some specifically for arches. Nice because it’s easy to wear with most shoes (or even by themselves if you still like barefoot feel but with some support).

1 Like

Sooo…if we’re talking about alleviating pain, I’d like some advice from the hive here about dealing with hip pain. Both my left hip and knee will be replaced next year, hip in January, knee to follow. I had shots in the hip and knee in May, and the knee is holding, but the hip is causing me serious pain now. I’m doing the following:

• Topical analgesics
  • Self massage
  • Ibuprofen/acetaminophen/meloxicam as needed
  • Athletic knee sleeve
  • Support shoes and slippers (never barefoot anymore)
  • Ice

And I’ve even tried THC (no help). While we’re here at the cabin, I’ve started to use my hiking stick as a cane occasionally. I need to be able to remain upright for another four months. I know I can’t take the meds listed every day for that length of time. Does anyone have any other suggestions to add to what I’m already doing?

@VaBluebird, tell me about Voltaren.

1 Like

In the scheme of things, my hip pain is “mild” but it did work for me. I say that as someone who has had a knee replacement so I know what “hit the wall” means in the end. You just can’t go on without one.
There’s a generic now of the Voltaren gel. You obviously are in more pain since you are having a replacement but maybe you could get some relief in the meantime. Best wishes.

2 Likes

Have you tried an adjustable bed? A zero gravity chair? My younger sister has hip pain and the chair and bed help by relieving the weight on her hip.

1 Like

@ChoatieMom , at the risk of sounding really obvious (not an insult to you, I promise!) are you using your hiking stick on the opposite side of the hip that’s hurting? I’ve learned over the years that lots of people put it on the same side as the affected knee/hip, and that actually doesn’t unweight it nearly as well, bc you still are shifting all your weight to that side.

1 Like

@ChoatieMom if you can find a good PT I’d make a bunch of appointments and have the PT look at how your using your body. I used to have bad hips and got injections 4 times a year. A great PT helped me and my hips are usually good. I have a torn meniscus and qualify for a partial knee replacement. I’m waiting till I qualify for a total. My knee was really bothering me and the PT realized I was not walking up stairs using the right muscles. When I go up stairs as instructed my knee doesn’t hurt nearly as much. One session my hips were off and my body was not symmetric. As he watched me go down a flight of stairs he saw I wasn’t bending my bad knee which was throwing off my hips.
A good PT is a life saver.

7 Likes

I first “met” Voltaren a decade ago when the ortho treating my runner’s knee prescribed it. It was a godsend in that situation. It is now sold OTC (Costco is a good source), and I swear it works better than other topical pain relief cremes. That said, be careful about applying it while taking any other NSAIDS. People have overdosed on these meds unknowingly while using topical stuff. Painful hips suck. Hugs.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I will definitely try the Voltaren/equivalent. The hip pain started during PT. My ortho sent me for a few sessions to strengthen the muscles around my knee. I had no hip pain at that time. During the third session, something done torqued my hip, and it’s never been the same. Eventually, the PT suggested the shot, and my ortho concurred. The shot worked for a couple of months but, when it wore off, the serious pain started. I only have relief in my bed or sitting (any chair). I do use my walking stick on the opposite side but only because that feels better not because I knew about weight distribution, but that makes sense.

I know that replacement is the only cure, so I’m just trying to understand all the pain management options/tricks in the meantime. My ortho gave me a prescription for Meloxicam and that works beautifully as does, to a lesser extent, a combo of ibuprofen/acetaminophen but none of those can be taken as often as I need them now, so I end up sitting most of the day and taking the meds on days when we plan to go out. I am not one to sit much so this really stinks. As I posted on the other thread, I’m actually looking forward to the surgeries so I can get back to being 18 (in my mind) again. Ha!

@ChoatieMom I had to wait months and months for knee replacement surgery due to other medical issues that arose in the pre-op testing and had to be resolved first. My cane was my friend. As a New Yorker/Brooklynite, I walk a lot and take public transportation and my cane, adjusted for length and used on the correct side, made it all bearable. Well, that and a good brace, one of those long things with a lot of velcro straps.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Good luck @ChoatieMom . H had a knee replacement in January 2020. He waited a bit too long and was in agony and really unable to walk much before having it done. He had a good recovery and developed a habit of walking a few miles every day.

2 Likes

We were on a bike trip in NY recently, and a couple of doctors from Atlanta had taken a trip to Niagra on the Lake (Canada) while there, so they could get a higher concentration of Voltaren (however you spell it). They said it works really well.

1 Like

Not a doctor first and foremost. BUT…
Have you really quizzed your doctor about pain relief or are you making assumptions ? Your doc may want to increase the dose of Meloxicam for you to cover the pain for a longer time period. (Dose can actually go to 15mg)

Ibuprofen and acetaminophen can be used but use them together for better effect-instead of taking two ibuprofen (as an example–I don’t know your dosage) instead take one ibuprofen and one acetaminophen–it’ll have a better effect. (You don’t normally take Meloxicam and other NSAIDS at the same time).

As you take these medicines be aware of cold medicines and other formulations that also contain acetaminophen. (including the Voltaren–available as generic at Walmart BTW).

You say the pain started from a particular PT appointment. Has that been investigated at all? I’d imagine the PT guys aren’t interested in investigating but maybe another PT person could diagnose what actually happened and have some better advice than “take pain pills”.

2 Likes

Yes, my ortho was very specific about how to take the pain meds and prescribed the 15mg version of Meloxicam. He also explained that ibuprofen (for inflammation) and acetaminophen (for pain) together are a more effective combo than either alone, so that is how I take them. But, he also warned me that I can’t take either remedy daily for any extended period due to the potential for stomach, liver, and kidney damage. He said I can take an acetaminophen with the Meloxicam if I must, but no ibuprofen or any other NSAID with Meloxicam as it is also an NSAID. I’ve also done a lot of research on my own that corroborates what you and he are saying, and I’m aware of the contraindications.

As for the PT, I’ve had a bad experience with every PT I’ve ever seen (two different ones for the left and right meniscus tears in the past six years, and now this one). I will never voluntarily see a PT again. My mother is a therapeutic massage therapist and is my best pain reliever and exercise coordinator when I’m in AZ. She has all the equipment plus an unlimited amount of TLC. Unfortunately, I’m in Maine until the end of October, so I’m just trying to hold on until I get back.

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate them.

Getting old sucks.

2 Likes

LOL. We already know getting old sucks. Just doesn’t keep us from trying to help!
I personally know PT’s who are my “heroes” so don’t write them off. But don’t blame you one iota with your experience.

So…do you have any idea what happened to your hip? I hesitate to ask but is your doctor aware of your experience with the PT?

1 Like

Yes, he’s aware. He suggested we do the hip right away and solve the problem once and for all, but I’m waiting for Medicare to kick in in January. We have a high deductible on our current insurance, and I refuse to pay it. So, this is all on me.

PTs really vary. H and I and D are very fond of our PT—so much so that we paid out of pocket for her to treat us. She does cupping, scraping, deep tissue massage and teaches us exercises. I had a different PT when I was recovering from a broken fibula. H has had several different PTs for various problems he’s had over the decades. D was pretty skeptical but agreed that our PT is very helpful.

So sorry for your pain and hope it improves.

2 Likes