Random Questions

I’m sorry you haven’t had great experiences with PT. I’ve had three great ones and they have changed my life. I also used to have a great massage therapist who also helped my hips a lot. I see my present PT weekly and he works on whatever I need. He is great at muscle release and stretching.

1 Like

Is there a medical reason you should do it earlier beyond pain? Are you hurting yourself physically in other respects by waiting? Just having your body compensate in so many ways over months to adjust to pain is not good.

2 Likes

Both of my hips and both of my knees have osteoarthritis, are bone on bone, and have degenerated to the point that all four need replacement. I received this diagnosis over four years ago based on x-rays and CT scans when I thought I’d pulled a groin muscle but it turned out to be hip-related. I’ve known about the knees even longer. I was not in any significant pain until my left hip/knee started causing problems last summer. General rest and icing worked fine until I needed the shots which worked fine until a couple of months ago. Ortho says nothing I do can hurt these joints any further. They’re just done and need replacement. He says just use the meds sparingly and, as soon as I’m ready, he’ll put me on his schedule. I won’t be ready (Medicare) until January, so I’m just trying to manage the pain until then. I’m not in agony, just can’t walk around all day like I used to which limits what DH and I can do while we’re here at the cabin this summer. Again, surgery timing is all on me. I’ll be fine, it’s just hard for me to sit around so much.

Sorry to derail. On to other random questions.

Your question is very appropriate! And you’re right, your choices are your choices.

With so many people having hips/knees/full/partial done these days I think we should be very grateful that this surgery can be done so “easily”. I understand that the rehab can be long and hard work but gosh, it seems so common place these days!

3 Likes

Yes, it’s amazing what medical wonders are available to us now. I’m also fortunate to live in a Mecca of geriatric medicine with Mayo Clinic in my backyard. My ortho is a leader in outpatient minimally invasive anterior MAKO robotic assisted joint replacement. There is a very short recovery period for the hip, a bit longer for the knee, but everyone I know who has had a joint replaced through this practice has had almost miraculous results with crazy short recovery timelines. My 85-year-old dad had his hip done there last year and was back up a ladder the following week (no PT!).

4 Likes

We have heard the same about the hip replacement. My H is similar to you, except he only has one bad hip. He will need to have it replaced at some point, but the ortho doesn’t feel that it’s that bad yet. But says it’s up to him and says H will know when it’s time. So for now, he takes celebrex. But like you, he’s not near as active as he wants to be. And it limits me - I love to hike, but don’t dare even suggest it anymore. If he’s going to press it, he wants to do that during his gym workouts and doing yard work. And when you hear the recovery is not a big deal, why wait? Then again, he’s only 54 so there’s that too.

My guess is that he will either do it next summer or they summer after. He is also an elementary PE teacher, so he has to be on his feet all day too.

1 Like

Choatiemom, sorry your pain has become so awful while away from your providers in AZ. I have hip pain, and as noted regarding your mom, massage is very helpful. I see a guy who does hard and sometimes painful work on my hips, really digging in, neuromuscular release and cranial sacral therapy. Hurts like H but I walk out of there transformed. The chiropractor helps as well. Stretching my hips out daily on the floor keep things working for a while, but if I slip on my exercises, it gets bad. Working in nursing to almost 67 was really hard on my body but these two individuals really helped me stay on my feet. I take ibuprofen on occasion but try to avoid it. But…if you are bone on bone in that hip, hard to say. If your self massage and your mom’s work are helpful, you might try finding someone. Another alternative is to get a tennis ball or one of these balls to really dig into the hip area and relieve muscle tension. Amazon.com: Aletha - Hip Flexor Release Ball | Massage Ball for Pain Relief and Muscle Therapy (Orange) : Health & Household Best wishes!

3 Likes

This is why I had to get these exact slippers while they were available. I told husband they would be my dress slippers.

15 Likes

Nice! I had exact same thought awhile ago. We are slipper twins. :slight_smile:

They are machine washable- I just washed mine in the washer with a load of laundry.

3 Likes

Make that slipper triplets! I just ordered the same ones :rofl: . They were delivered yesterday. Aren’t they cute?

3 Likes

The marshmallow tropical isn’t available in my size :(. But I did go ahead and order one of the others - we’ll see how this works.

Can this outdoor chaise lounge be repaired? It has a long split in the fabric. I’m looking for an easy fix, does not need to look great.

There is a bar below that does support me when I use it. Just seems wise to fix it. Hubby thinks we can’t fix with duct tape, but I might give it a try to discourage further tearing. It winters outdoors.

I would be willing to buy a new one since I got it on the curb from neighbor and used a few years before it tore. But if I can save it from the landfill it would be grand.

Looks like it’s the chaise sold at Costco. It’s probably not available now but come spring you could pick up a new one. There are companies who repair patio furniture but it’s costly and usually only worth it for high end products.
We have 6 of those chaises right now. They are in varying degrees of condition. We bought two new ones early this summer. They are comfortable.

2 Likes

Duct tape. Always duct tape.

1 Like

I don’t think it can really be repaired but there were some like that at Aldi for cheap.

I’m all about keeping stuff out of the landfill though. times if you want to try it with duct tape it really needs to have the repair going perpendicular to the rip and the ends should over lap several times. Won’t necessarily look pretty. I think if you just put the duct tape vertical along the rip it will just come apart again.

1 Like

Maybe this? Or transparent duct tape.

https://www.amazon.com/Duck-283713-Printed-Burlap-Inches/dp/B00T584GL2/ref=sr_1_18?crid=38JL74ISSZHOF&keywords=tan%2Bduct%2Btape&qid=1662588422&sprefix=tan%2Bduct%2Btape%2B%2Caps%2C59&sr=8-18&th=1

1 Like

Maybe needle and thread, with the stitches far enough from the edge that they aren’t going to pull out? Then duct tape both over and under, to protect the repair?

3 Likes

Thanks for the input! I will probably give repair a go with duct tape. This is an outdoor reading chair for me, tucked under a tree near the corner of the house by a fence. So if it looks shabby, I’m ok with that.

2 Likes

Is the rest of it metal? Here I would
Put it at the curb and scrappers would
Pick it up and recycle it. Sometimes it’s time to put things to rest. :blush:

I’d duct tape and then put a pretty cushion on it ; )

4 Likes