Random Questions

Does he have a college team he likes? Needlepoint coasters! (This was actually a thing way back when). Easy for her (usually done on the plastic canvas) and you can stash them away if they turn out terrible but a fun item if they come out good. And actually useful. (My kid would probably like them just for the kitsch value.)

My mom cringed one year that my grandmother said she wanted to knit everyone an afghan for Christmas. Asked for colors and design type. They were from kits (from Sears I think) and we just picked. We still have them–she was an excellent seamstress and needleworker. Her real talent was in quilts which was what my mom really would have liked. GM and my aunt did a lot of needlepoint also–beautiful work but now I have this fabulous tiger stuck in a drawer…

My mom tried her hand ONCE at some crewel needlework–it was a cat looking out a window that she originally wanted to make for my dad’s office (we had a cat and he had no window). Never got it framed because it was sort of wonky in the end and as cute as it was it wasn’t framing material. But they both laughed about it for a long time. It has “personality” so to speak.
I have it now in my laundry room and I laugh still. Still haven’t figured out how to hang the thing though–I hung it with clips on a hanger.

2 Likes

@Marilyn - I really wish people would not expect everyone to love something that they handmade. It is a nice gesture, but most young people want nothing to do with things like needlepoint. This goes back to the thread on china where most people said their kids want nothing to do with grandma’s old dishes. I think decorating a house is very personal.

7 Likes

No college team - Carnegie Mellon Tartans? But he’s not a guy for the past. Something like coasters would be nice but she wants to make a “memorable” gift, I think. I’ve done tons of needle work thingies over the years - in the early days, it was canvases that got stretched and framed. All now stored in garage. I have a couple of pieces that insert into a plexiglass tray. But I sent son that Orrefors crystal tray that Wayfair had on sale last year and we all bought for $25 (now $156) which he didn’t really need but liked very much. In later years I made quick decorative cross stich items just for fun. I’ve made several eyeglass cases via needlepoint; use for sunglasses and my iPhone. I have a drawer with all my old supplies and several unfinished pieces. I don’t think I ever considered gifting anyone else with my projects!

Now I’m tempted to text nephew that I’d like to make him a miniature house (my newest hobby) and let’s pick one out together.

The afghan story is so funny - my MIL was renowned for making them. She was talented but I think she bought the ugliest wool possible on sale. She used to sit with their crowd at the beach club and crochet. I have a very old family heirloom afghan and matching pillow cover so was never interested. One of many ways I probably unknowingly insulted her.

2 Likes

My MIL is truly a wonderful seamstress. She made my H (then BF) a men’s suit way back when. He didn’t have a suit and really needed one. Jacket, pants. Blue, black, gray? Olive green. Puke green. I think she did it on purpose but that’s another story. I had no words.

I once had a roommate though who loved crocheting baby blankets. Lovely work in orange, purple, beige, neon pink…you name it they were TERRIBLE. Pink and blue were not in her vocabulary. She was totally blind to how awful the color combos were.

Just suggested this language to son if he decides to accept:

Thanks so much for thinking of me! I’m more a practical than decorative kind of guy. But if you would enjoy making such a project, I certainly wouldn’t turn it down. I’d let you pick the design (not good at decor decisions) - probably blues/grays/silver etc. work best, abstract or mountain concept.

This implies that she should make it for her sake, not his. And I know from years of experience that son hates and procrastinates on making decor choices.

7 Likes

Agree that coasters can be nice and easily hidden if they don’t work out as hoped. It’s sweet and a nice thought but too bad there is pressure being brought.

It’s interesting to me how some people assume that others, especially of a younger generation, would have the same regard/appreciation for something that is meaningful to them. I don’t know much about needlepoint as I am not crafty at all, but I can’t imagine a young male really being interested in a gift like that, despite the kind sentiment behind it.

Not necessarily the same thing, but my MIL was a collector. It was obvious when I visited their home the first time. Despite the fact the my SIL was almost 30, MIL still had a doll case full of collectible dolls in SIL’s childhood bedroom. Dolls no one played with, just looked at. When our oldest was born, her first granddaughter, MIL started sending us Madame Alexander collectible dolls for birthdays/Christmas. Um, not my thing. And certainly not something a toddler is interested in! I didn’t want to insult her so just graciously accepted the gifts.

After the fourth or fifth one, H somehow got the message across (probably something like, “her bedroom is small and we have no room for displaying them”). Meanwhile, I’m pretty sure they are still in their original boxes up on a shelf in my closet. I think back in the early days of eBay I considered selling them but never got around to it. Anyone want them? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

LOL, we had the same box of creepy dolls in our attic that my in-laws gifted to my daughter. I don’t really enjoy anything that lives behind a glass door never to be used!!!

2 Likes

Afghans! Knitted and crocheted afghans were so popular once upon a time. My grandmother knitted many of them from Mary Maxim kits. The only people I know with afghans these days are in their 70s and 80s.

Out of curiosity I looked up Mary Maxim. The pink version of this pattern is so similar to one I remember that it may still be the same kit decades later: https://www.marymaxim.com/collections/knit-afghans/products/ripples-galore-afghan?variant=39390595317927

3 Likes

I think that’s the exact one we all have!

3 Likes

My mom passed within the past year. Each of my kids have an “afghan” my mom crocheted for them (or is it knit? I’m not crafty!!) and it is like GOLD to them. They each have theirs out and in use in their homes and were competitive with each other as to whose turn it was for Grandma to make theirs. She asked them what color(s) they wanted and it was her winter activity to work on even though her hands were pretty arthritic. They were imperfect, but PERFECT. :heart:

7 Likes

My brother and I each have an afghan my mom knitted. Definitely is special.

6 Likes

My paternal grandmother lived a few blocks from me. She was the daughter of Italian immigrants but not the typical “Nonie”. She had gone to college (in the 1920’s!) and was a teacher before owning/running a business. Divorced my (alcoholic,abusive) grandfather and raised the kids as a single mom, then married a wonderful guy when they were grown.

Anyway, she did not have time for crafts until she retired, then took up crochet. She died shortly before I went away to college and after her services my dad’s stepdad gave me her final gift - an afghan she had made for me to take to school. It was on my bed all through college and I still have it. It’s something I will never part with. I still miss my grandma, though.

4 Likes

My grandmother was a quilter (by hand, not machine) and every winter for many years she had two quilt frames set up in her dining room to work on. Grandma hand embroidered the quilt squares before making the quilts. When she passed away my mom and I packed up 3 suitcases full of finished quilt squares and brought them back to California. When my mom retired 21 years ago she joined a quilting group at a local church because she wanted to finish grandma’s quilts. My mom has become a wonderful quilter and she has been able to give the youngest grandkids all beautiful quilts made by grandma and her.

I have many lovely quilts from my grandma and mom that I rotate on the bottom of my bed in the winter.

1 Like

My MIL made H a beautiful monogrammed pillow of all different needlepoint stitches before we were married. It still has a home on the sofa. My great-grandmother had a shelf full of inexpensive dolls she bought at the dime store and made beautiful outfits for, either sewn or crocheted. My favorite was “Golden Girl of the West” and I loved getting it off the shelf and holding her. Grandma H. made me my own shortly before she passed and I still treasure it! I have a bride doll she made for my mother, but the Golden Girl is super special.

3 Likes

Agree that coasters can be nice and easily hidden if they don’t work out as hoped. It’s sweet and a nice thought but not if the intended recipient is reluctant.

1 Like

I didn’t want ANYTHING from my grandparents’ homes, or my parents home when I was young. Now I appreciate most. Some of the home-made items were great. Some, not so great, but the few items I do have are especially precious. - perhaps because there are few :wink: .

Likely over-sentimental, but each time I take out a bowl, or even utensil, or use a furniture piece from previous generations, I think of the former owner. Yes, it is the memory that is meaningful, not the item, but the item sparks the memory.

6 Likes

That’s the one my mom made. It’s on my couch right now. I would never part with it and one of my cats loves it!

The last few posts give me hope. Have finished piecing and am now quilting a Ukraine-themed extra-large throw quilt for ExpatS and GF (who arrived here yesterday for five weeks!) :blue_heart: :yellow_heart: They don’t know yet. Am quilting it in the wee hours of the morning. GF has seen my quilted door hanging on FB (similar design) and loves it, so I’m hoping it gets lots of love and good use. I’m adding a hanging sleeve if they want to keep it out of reach of the cat. Apparently hanging textiles on the wall for warmth is a thing.

9 Likes

New random question.

I had a couple packs of meat (marinated steak tips), vacuum-sealed. We thawed out both packs for a family gathering but only ended up using one - never even unsealed the other.

Can I refreeze it? Or will we be eating steak tips all week?