Random Questions

As of the last few years, almost always. No hearing problems, just like to catch everything, especially if there are accents or a lot of fast talking.

Always, as H is hearing impaired. We both get annoyed (and sometimes tickled) by the screwy errors made on the captions. Is the captioning done by computer/AI?

1 Like

always for uk shows

1 Like

Never for us.

1 Like

Ditto. Unless we are watching a foreign movie. :slight_smile:

I never use it. I also don’t like subtitled movies. For me, having to read what’s being said interferes with full immersion in the visual because I’m focusing on the words rather than the movie.

1 Like

After a while, I think for many viewers the brain gets used to reading the subtitles only as needed. That was the case for us.

Although our usual use of it is for UK shows, we found it ever so useful on “Elementary”, where the “Sherlock” character had British accent AND mumbled.

2 Likes

Always - very helpful with accents even in the US. D and SIL use it because they don’t want to wake up the kids at night when they watch movies.

4 Likes

Always for scripted content. Never if typer can’t keep up with the action (like live sports).

I prefer having closed caption and mainly ignore it unless I missed something that was said. If there are captions, I can tell H to read for himself instead of asking me what was said (which I find more irksome than captions).

5 Likes

My husband uses it for shows and movies with strong accents. Of course we use it for foreign languages shows. I’m always amazed at how after a few minutes I don’t even realize I’m reading the subtitles.

3 Likes

I always find it interesting that after awhile I think I can understand the language. Good acting puts over the emotion of a scene so well even if the language can’t be understood.

1 Like

TripIt users: I downloaded the app and started importing all of my info. In general, I like what it can do, but I was wondering if there’s any way to customize what I can see. Right now the itinerary is 10 pages long! Help isn’t helpful, nor is googling.

1. is there any way to delete (or hide) the “Depart Hotel” without also deleting the corresponding arrival? I didn’t want to try because it seems like it would delete both. But, for 3 places I had to book our 3 rooms under a separate booking. That’s 9 departures I don’t need to see. The check-out time is the only important part and that’s included on the arrival time.

2. is there any way to forward part of the info to various people? I want to forward it to the GFs’ parents, and while I like to see how much I paid for everything, I don’t particularly want them to see it. Not that it’s a big deal, but still. They also don’t need to see every single thing we are doing. I mostly want to send them the flights, train, hotels but with the confirmation numbers and the address/phone in case of an emergency or something.

If not, I’ll probably just copy/paste into a word document. This has been pretty aggravating and stressful, though mostly because it shows how much more I need to research and figure out (unrelated to the app, but I was living in la la land)

1 Like

Interested to hear the TripIt feedback. I did get it based on recommendations, but I’ve stuck with our family Google doc method for collecting trip info.

Where I see it helping. Everything is in one place and not printed out in a binder. Plus, I started reserving stuff back in April and all through the year, so it is a pain to search through gmail to find everything.

It’s easy to get the stuff uploaded. You forward all the emails to them and they import it. Not everything got carried over so I added that.

I’m also going to pdf all the emails and add those in too just because I’m weird. And once I do that I’ll probably also upload it to my one drive. And also print out the master sheet with everything and put that in my backpack.

It did take me awhile. And I found the computer version easier to edit and stuff.

2 Likes

Not sure if you’re making it from scratch with raw cabbage, or using commercial sauerkraut as a starting point, but when I make my grandmother’s recipe I use the commercial stuff that comes in a bag or can or jar – these always have some liquid/brine in them, which would be the “juice.” I rinse it in a colander just a bit, and then press out the extra water. Her recipe calls for it to then get cooked for a very long time with other ingredients (fried onions, salt pork, etc.). If the sauerkraut isn’t rinsed to start with, the final result will be way too salty/acidic, and if it’s over-rinsed, it ends up being very bland. So typically I rinse it lightly, taste a bit to make sure it still has some tang to it, and proceed with the recipe from there. I’ve never made sauerkraut completely from scratch, though. Hope that was a least a little helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you, it does. I did make it from scratch. It’s sour and salty, so I think rising is best.

New question. D and SIL are moving from east coast to west coast and have several house plants they want to save and have with them. The plants need to be shipped somehow. Anyone with experience on companies or how to accomplish this?

If they are moving plants into California, there might be issues with moving companies accepting them. There are regulations and possible inspections. We had two plants my husband was adamant about bringing from Illinois and he had to have them treated and then inspected by an agricultural official in Illinois and given certificates before the moving company would take them.

Our experience is that most moving companies won’t move the plants, at least not officially. I’ve taken the small ones with us in the car but we’ve gotten lucky that most drivers will let us put the big ones on the truck “at our own risk”. I have one plant that has been with us for 30 years and has moved 9 times.

4 Likes