Random Questions

^ Yikes!!

Naviance/CA users: what if you accidentally ask 2 teachers to submit a LOR for a school that only accepts one? Is it first-come-first-served?

Flying out of SFO in. Few hours. Will get there 3 hours early, with our Global Entry and gold frequent flyer status should be ok.

Often I “get” the TSA precheck when I buy my tickets using my Delta Amex card.

Last week I flew out of Detroit and Minneapolis, with 30-minute-waits in the security line for both places.

And here’s a random question: my daughter and her boyfriend have moved into the “shopping for engagement rings” stage of their relationship. She mentioned something to me about her boyfriend asking my H for our daughter’s hand in marriage.

Does anyone even do that any more? I think it’s a sweet gesture, but I was surprised that she mentioned it. If it matters, they’re both in their mid-twenties, living independently of their parents, and established in their carers.

Kinda depends on the couple. My first son did because his FIL appreciated it and so did his fiancee. My second son did not because nobody would have thought it was a good idea.

My son did not ask future father in law because his fiancee would have been really pissed at the idea that she is a piece of chattel to be given from one man to another. YMMV.

“Does anyone even do that any more? I think it’s a sweet gesture, but I was surprised that she mentioned it. If it matters, they’re both in their mid-twenties, living independently of their parents, and established in their careers.”

My DH did not ask for my hand in marriage, because I am not my father’s property (and this was back in 1993).

Um…my D does not feel like property or chattel. And actually, my H and I really don’t care, one way or another, although my H does relish the opportunity to tell future SIL that in order to marry our D, FSIL must quit rooting for the Vikings.

@scout59,
My DS#1 took his future inlaws out for dinner and discussed his plans to ask her to marry him. Don’t know if he formally “asked permission” . Their other SIL did the same thing. Was very meaningful to them and spoke highly of the gentlemen now married to their daughters.

Both of our SILs talked to us before the proposals and each asked for our blessing but not our permission. Since DH never considered asking my dad’s permission as I would have then turned him down, he was a wee bit surprised at the request for a blessing (In his and my view it was very thoughtful.) Asking permission is not always a great idea- I know of one young potential groom who asked for permission and was turned down.

I like to look at traditions through a fairly tough lens of rationality-would the daughter go to the future mother-in-law and ask for the son’s hand in marriage? How weird does that sound? Super weird? Yeah, probably because the tradition is rooted in the woman being property.

Some traditions should be discarded in favor of creating new ones that are meaningful and supportive of who people are today.

Maybe a blessing from all of the parents over the union of their kids-that one seems a lot more applicable with regards to gender equality.

My niece’s BF asked her parents for their blessing before he proposed. Everyone is thrilled and they’re a dear couple.

Agree that most these days, if/when they talk to the parents, are out of courtesy informing the parents of his plans and perhaps “asking for their blessing”. When my DH did it (over the phone), my fa’s response was “you’re kidding”. Thanks, dad.

I don’t think it’s about ‘asking’ for D’s hand anymore. Sometimes, probably. I talked to my in-laws-to-be in order to let them know before we told others. No big whoop.

Random question: why didn’t the staff at the Cincinnati zoo use a tranquilizer gun rather than kill the gorilla when recovering the 4 year old who climbed/fell into the exhibit? Wouldn’t the tranquilizer gun/dart thin have sedated him quickly enough?

The zoo said that they were concerned that the tranquilizer wouldn’t work fast enough and the gorilla was already agitated by the crowd reaction, so the were concerned for the child’s welfare.

Very sad. Wish they had found a different alternative.

The report I saw indicated that the gorilla was doing significant harm to the 4-year-old, bashing him against a wall. The officials at the zoo had to do something immediately to bring him out alive.

I was surprised no one had started a thread on this. I don’t know whether to blame the parents in this or not. Were they holding on to the child? Were they even watching the child? Did they have too many children with them to watch this boy carefully?

Then there’s the zoo’s responsibility. The San Diego Zoo has a high glass wall between visitors and the gorilla enclosure. The LA Zoo does not, just a moat like the Cincinnati Zoo. And though it’s been many years, I think the San Diego Wild Animal park has a moat. Is there some standard of zoo design for safety of both visitors and animals?

I haven’t been following the news story. Was the kid OK?