Random Questions

Anyone here have experience buying tickets for the US Open? A friend is having a milestone birthday and we’d like to get him tickets for next year. But how do I pick which “session” to buy tickets for? And does buying tickets for a session mean that he will get to watch more than one match? I’d prefer to buy tickets for one of the later rounds (not the finals since that seems to be incredibly expensive!). What’s the best place to buy these?

We bought tickets directly from the US Open website. It was quite a few years ago so my recollection may not be the most current or reliable. We were there for the entire Labor Day weekend, so we bought 2 day session passes and one night session. IIRC, each session included as many matches as were being played during the time frame — there may have been an added cost to get complete access to all courts. H and S hopped from one match to another to get the most complete experience. Since this was one week before finals weekend, prices weren’t exorbitant.

ETA: Apparently I was wrong! My H says we bought tickets through the American Express presale. Which opens up sometime late spring/early summer. However, he seems to recall that we bought grounds passes and then added Arthur Ashe stadium tickets to that, which gave us complete access to all the matches on both days. Hope this helps. Perhaps, someone with more recent and pertinent experience will chime in soon.

Anyone here a bread baker?

When I asked my oldest for gift suggestions for her fiancé, she said he has gotten into bread baking recently. One of the things she mentioned he’d like are reusable bread storage bags. A google search has not been very helpful in terms of reviews - linen? Cotton? Reusable plastic?

Figured I’d ask here to see if anyone uses them and can recommend what type is best and if they have a favorite brand.

I would get something like this: Reusable Linen Bread Bags - Cotton Cloth Bread Bags for Homemade Bread

3 Likes

I bake a lot of bread and I’m not sure what he’s asking for, but you can’t go wrong with anything on the King Arthur Baking website. I bought their bags to give bread away, but I’ve never used a reusable bag.

2 Likes

By reusable, something to store freshly baked bread in that can be used every time he makes a new loaf of bread. I suppose, like the linen bags that @momofboiler1 linked above. While I found these type of bags in a quick google search, I was asking if anyone here had ever used something like this and could recommend a specific brand they like.

I bake bread frequently, but my husband uses foil to loosely cover it. Maybe I should make a linen bag.

Watching with interest this bread bag discussion because it would be a great stocking stuffer for my kids who often make or purchase artesian bread.

A quick look on Amazon seems to field comments that many people still wrap the bread in something else before putting it in the linen bag??? Usually the bags seem to be linen/cotton combo.

@abasket yes, Amazon was full of choices! I clicked on one that had a good amount of reviews but then saw that they were made in China. I’d rather not get something manufactured there if possible.

3 Likes

This is interesting (5 stars, 50 reviews) but pricey

Maybe there is another beeswax option out there.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Bees-Wrap-15317231-Breadwrap-single-x23/dp/B00GK3QTCE/ref=sr_1_5?crid=MOC1BK8TAGPD&keywords=beeswax+bread+bag&qid=1670257157&sprefix=beeswax+bread%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-5

1 Like

When I bake bread I use plastic bags that I have saved from store bought or farmer’s market bought loaves. Seems like a linen bag would let it go stale. I wonder if they would like an old-fashioned bread box? Honey Can Do Bread Box | Wayfair

2 Likes

Thx for the suggestions - think I’m going to give up on the idea. I just can’t seem to find anything that has reliable reviews. I’d get some sort of bread box but I don’t think she wants something that will take up counter space. Focusing instead now on getting him some bread making tools like a lame and few other things.

But thank you to those who tried to help!

1 Like

Yep, I agree. The lame is a good idea. Does he have a banneton? Perhaps a set like this would be nice.

Plastic or foil is the preferred way to keep bread fresh after baking. For re-use the beeswax bread wrap would be the best bet. Cloth would let it dry out.

When I bake bread, I use a bread box for storage. I also wrap in foil first before putting in the box.

LOL. Knowing my kids I’d get what they asked for rather than getting something I think would be better–just ask them for more specifics. Tell them to pick it out. The beeswax wraps are fairly expensive (for what it is) plus being useful for more than just bread making so it makes a good gift since it’s something they probably wouldn’t run out and buy themselves.
Gotta love my kid–he sends links.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126LMDFK?tag=thespruceeats-onsite-prod-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&ascsubtag=4843690|na6439ae2ed1340c3b22865c6c15ba20b21|B0126LMDFK

Excellent reviews and suggested on several sites.

1 Like

Yea, sometimes it’s good to ask. Even though I have been trying to cut back on plastic, I’m still fine with baked goods in a reused bread wrapper (which admittedly home bread bakers won’t have) or a ziplock bag reused over and over.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before - but wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a light, fresh spray - not perfume, something lighter like perhaps body spray? I’ve looked at Bath Body Works, VS, and elsewhere and everything in the affordable range smells like a melted candycane…? (to me!). LOL.