Random Questions

My kids went to Catholic school for a couple of years, and I made about a weekly trip to the lost and found. Had to look carefully, because lots of things were exactly the same, except for the name written on the tag or whatever.
When my kids went to summer camp, they simply could not remember their lunch boxes. They kept all the lost ones in an old school bus. I had to venture there often too, and rest assured baking in the summer temps did nothing for all that icky food.

1 Like

Here’s a random question. I was cleaning out my cupboard. An neighbor who has moved and who I don’t keep contact with had given me this jar of Chocolate Sugar Cookie mix. Usually the dry ingredients needed and theb you just are suppose to add a couple of ingredients like egg, butter, milk or whatever. Apparently I lost the instructions. This looks like flour, cocoa, brown sugar and I’m guessing baking powder, salt, soda in with the flour.

What do you think I should add to mix and bake the cookies???

A stick of butter, 2 eggs, 1t vanilla???

1 Like

I like it! I’ll see if anyone else comments and average everything together! Lol!!

1 Like

Looks a lot like this:

The instructions there:

1. Attach a tag with the following instructions: Chocolate Cookie Mix in a Jar: 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) 2. Empty cookie mix into large bowl. Thoroughly blend mixture with hands. Mix in 3/4 cup softened butter or margarine, 1 egg, slightly beaten, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Shape into walnut size balls, and place 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. 3. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then move to wire racks.
4 Likes

If it’s more than a year old, I would probably add some fresh baking soda/baking powder. Maybe half of what was originally in the recipe. Or, I would bake part of the cookies and see if they need more leavening before baking them all. Those two things can lose their effectiveness over time.

3 Likes

I asked Nestle:

Edit to add: How Long Will Baked-Good-In-Jar Kits Last? | The Kitchn

I knew the CC sleuths would be in this!

It’s a year old - last Christmas. Refreshing the baking powder/soda may be a good idea - maybe I’ll try part of the batch first as suggested.

1 Like

I can’t seem to find any of the current or upcoming book discussion posts on the cafe. Can anyone post a link?

1 Like

Thank you! That one won’t be my cup of tea but I don’t understand why I can’t seem to find ANY of them! Is there a March pick yet?

It’s every other month so as the February discussion winds down, the April pick will be discussed and determined. I haven’t started the February book and am not sure about it.

I find the book club discussions by going to @Mary13’s threads started.

3 Likes

Good tip! I’ll
Keep an eye out for April’s pick!

1 Like

Sewers/crafters! Random question!

I need some advice on covering chair cushions. I bought some mid-century modern chairs that and I am recovering the seat cushions. (I’ll post a pic in a minute). I will just be using a staple gun underneath the cushion (which is how the current fabric is on and I know I can handle a staple gun)

I also bought some 1/2 inch foam to add on top of the current fabric - so it will be underneath my new fabric. Any tips? Should the foam be cut to only the surface size of the seat cushion? A little bigger so that the new fabric can sort of push the foam on the side lip of the cushion? Is the foam a bad idea for any reason?

Any tips in general to get a better looking cushion I’ll take. I’ve done fabric recovering before so I know to stretch the fabric tight enough so it’s taunt on top. And to sort of wrap the cushion like a present while watching how the folds lay.

1 Like

I would make the foam piece as big as the fabric and wrap it around as part of the cover. You want the puffy part to be not just on the top of the seat but on the sides too. This will also eliminate the possibility of the foam shifting around under the fabric.

2 Likes

Thanks ! I did buy some spray adhesive (that allows me to move and position) for the foam to the base so hopefully the foam doesn’t shift!

Let us know how it goes.

How bad is the penalty for exchanging currency at the airport? We only need a small amount of pesos (about $200 or $300) for our trip to Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Was going to get at AAA, a half hour from home. But we called ahead and learned it’s 2-step, order and then come back 3 to 5 days later. It’s a bit tight for our departure in 8 days. We used to use Wells Fargo (also 1/2 hour away) for Euro, but we no longer have any accounts there.

2 Likes

We haven’t used currency exchange counters in over two decades. They’re a ripoff. Best to use your ATM card and withdraw cash after you land at a foreign destination. You’ll get the best possible exchange rate.

6 Likes