Random Questions

We redid the master bedroom in the fall and got all new furniture from Crate and Barrel. This is the bed we got and I don’t have a dust ruffle on it and it looks great. I hated dealing with the bed skirt on the old bed and was glad to not have to have one on our new bed.
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/linea-ii-queen-bed/s446293?localedetail=US&a=1552&campaignid=1727389627&adgroupid=69157008713&targetid=pla-1681695418275&pla_sku=446293&pcat=FURN&ag=adult&scid=scplp446293&sc_intid=446293&gclid=CjwKCAjwq-WgBhBMEiwAzKSH6MVRHthcHTScux1IFysZWxIhAbuKie3kgxtAg_H9OSG8Dl7xCFsvJBoCkIwQAvD_BwE

3 Likes

Thats sorta what we have, but the material is thin and just seems to pull up

When I went to duvets I gave up on bedskirts. Way too dusty here. We have wooden bed frames.

2 Likes

I don’t have The same issue with my bed skirt but I have another. My bed skirt is heavyweight linen with no pleats or gathers. Maybe the weight keeps it flat and wrinkle free. Even though it doesn’t seem like the dogs lay next to the bottom of the bed the skirt gets really dirty. Taking if off and washing and putting back on is a major battle. I like my bed frame and I don’t want to get a new one and I feel I need a skirt.

We don’t do a dust ruffle. (A large hope chest at the foot of the bed makes it look OK.) When I was a kid, my mother had a clever way to attach hers to the coverlet-bedspread. She bought snap tape (available online Amazon and other places). She sewed one strip to the bedspread and the other to the bed skirt. That way she could separate to wash.

1 Like

There’s a tool called a mattress wedge or mattress lifter. I ran into it on a Facebook ad; haven’t tried it myself. Basically it’s a small plastic wedge with a handle. You slide it between the two mattresses and it creates a gap for tucking.

Here’s an example.
https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/mattress-lifter-ergonomic-mattress-wedge-elevator-mattress-bed-moving-elevator-alleviate-back-pain-mattress-lift-tool_p9298474.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&sku=276_702955&country_code=us&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=17679029646&adword_mt=&adword_ct=&adword_kw=&adword_pos=&adword_pl=&adword_net=x&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=2907233386_17679029646__&gclid=CjwKCAjwq-WgBhBMEiwAzKSH6OAIxbX05QifotikdyXLy79-ot4fYx_y-3IR06kKdO0xoUchqvbjThoCHUMQAvD_BwE

If you don’t need to wash the dust ruffle often, you can use thumbtacks or staples to hold it in place.

2 Likes

The corkscrew type of pins work well. I used to get them at Bed Bath and Beyond if there’s still a store around. Or these from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Akstore-Upholstery-Slipcovers-Bedskirts-Bedskirt/dp/B07QVBMNDQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3QA3IM2GDCDGS&keywords=corkscrew+pins+for+bedding&qid=1679425015&sprefix=corkscrew+pins+for+bedding%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-2

I probably used twice the recommended number so there was no shifting of the bedskirt.

2 Likes

I safety pin mine to the box spring. Mainly because it was custom made and at the time, I had a standard bed frame; I now have a low profile, so the dust ruffle was too long. I didn’t want to spend the money to have it shortened, so a cheap fix!

3 Likes

Any advise about cleaning white plastic coated wire racks that have gotten sticky over time? I scrubbed in the tub with Dawn, but that only helped a little bit.

Is it sticky because it’s dirty or because the plastic is breaking down?

If the plastic is breaking down I don’t think there’s much you can do but replace them.

1 Like

The plastic looks ok, but I think they are from shelves in my mom’s old apartment (a pretty clean place) til a few years ago….which would mean they are very old.

1 Like

I’ve used alcohol to help make plastic less sticky. It sometimes is a bit harsh in the plastic, so test an inconspicuous spot 1st. It has been helpful in dealing with pens that get tacky and other items.

Maybe try Goo Gone? That’s our miracle worker for sticky stuff, but I don’t know how well it would work on this.

1 Like

Nail polish remover??

Another random question:
I like to keep honey in the house and don’t use a lot of it so I generally just buy a small jar/bottle. I store it in a lower “dark” cupboard that does not get overly warm.

Most every time the honey crystallizes (?) before it gets used up. I’d say 3 months or less. Why or what can I do differently?

The honey is okay. It just naturally crystallizes with changes in temperature. Heat it up just a bit.

5 Likes

Ugh. I’ve tried it all. Best is to throw out the offending plastic.

1 Like

The texture is off putting! I know it’s not rancid or anything but I’d like to get a bottle to last a little longer!

Is this typical? Shelf life before crystallizing only a couple months?

And if I hear it up it just intensifies

I run under warm water and it goes back to normal. But depending what you’re using it for you can just use it crystallized too.

1 Like