Random Questions

I did gel lacquer polish with the UV many years ago for a few months and then stopped due to exactly what you’re describing. It killed my nails. During the lockdowns when I stopped getting manicures I started using colorstreet nail polish strips and they work very well. No base coat needed. I add my favorite top coat and the polish stays on for about 2 weeks with little to no chipping. I’ve found the glitter ones last a bit longer than the solid colors but that was the same for me with. regular bottled nail polish.

2 Likes

The colorstreet nail polish strip idea is new to me, sounds intriguing. What would be a good place to buy/order a set to try?

This is the website. I’ve also purchased on Amazon, especially discontinued colors.

https://www.colorstreet.com/lindsayscosimanis

Ignore the consultant. They usually link you with one in your area but you don’t need to purchase through them.

1 Like

Thanks @vpa2019 - that looks interesting. Will have to try it. Do you just remove the strip with nail polish remover after?

Yes, regular remover. It did take a couple tries to get the application of the strips down to a science. :blush: Attached is my current selection……going on day 12.

2 Likes

Thanks!

Another random question - anyone use mosquito repellent bands? Any recommendations?

I think @HImom has used them.

Depends on how eaten up you want to be and where you are. I’m going for high octane deet repellent. YMMV.

1 Like

Yes, my f friend’s H makes sone that work well but I’m not sure they are sold in US yet. I’ve never gotten a bite while wearing them.

OFF Deep Wood towelettes. We have settled on them as the most tolerable deet form. I buy them usually at Target. They are sometimes hard to find. We have serious West Nile here- apparently just the right climate. It is nice because I just carry one in my pants pocket and in the car. Sometimes we share just one between us.
Never tried a band.

1 Like

Got any good Senior discount info to share?

I happened to be at Walgreen’s today, and the cashier asked if I qualified. I said Yes. (I’m 60 but didn’t ask age because most of what I was buying was for sick hubby at home age 67.). Turns out that on the first Tuesday of the month seniors age 55+ get 20% off non-sale items at Walgreens.

3 Likes

Harris Teeter gives 5% off to seniors (60 and over) on Thursdays.

2 Likes

I’m boycotting Walgreen’s.

2 Likes

Oh dear, do I want to know why? I’ve been there 3 times over today/yesterday (meds for sick hubby). Almost walked one of the times, since it’s about a mile from home.

Probably over the Plan B thing

1 Like

Ah… it looks like that’s a Walgreens policy for red states - I had not heard about it.

Yes, @Sweetgum 's assumption is correct. I didn’t want to bring it up – too political, perhaps. But I didn’t have to, did I.

1 Like

Nope you didn’t. But lets just have a major drug company further ignorance in one fell swoop.

1 Like

New random question. Has anyone here read about Corelle’s vintage dishware concerns? I read a post in my Nextdoor digest advising people not to use pre-2005 Corelle dishware for anything other than decorative purposes because of a small amount of lead contamination.
All of mine (most of my bakeware) predates that year and hence the concern.

This is one of the few articles that I found with more information.

1 Like

I messaged Corelle about this very issue in January, and this is the response I received:

"We wanted to let you know that Instant Brands has conducted additional testing with an outside laboratory to determine whether vintage Corelle products made before 2000 comply with today’s consumer [your] expectations as to safety and whether it’s ok to use them as every-day dinnerware. The Company selected multiple patterns of vintage Corelle products, dating back to 1978 for testing.

The food surface contact testing was designed to identify whether any small amount of lead that may have existed in pre-2000 manufactured Corelle product leaches from the product in amounts above today’s acceptable lead-safety regulations. The small amount of lead used in decorations pre-2000 was encapsulated in glass before and after the decoration was applied to product and fired to above 750C. The Corelle manufacturing process has always encapsulated decoration in glass, using extremely high processing temperatures to ensure the glass decorations are sealed, which prevents food contact and intentionally decreases the extent of any lead migration to food.

The testing confirms that the vintage products tested comply with current FDA lead-safety regulations – so feel free to use them for every-day dinnerware."

3 Likes